• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is anybody using the onboard LAN on Abit IC7-G Motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E.d.g.a.r

Registered
Hi!

I am using the Abit IC7-G motherboard and I have problems using the onboard gigabit LAN connection in Windows XP. Copying data in 100 MBit-mode or in 1GB-mode results always in system freezing. It happens sometimes direclty after starting the copy process, sometimes after some seconds.

In another forum I have read a post where someone has the same issue.

Has anybody the same problems, using the onboard Intel CSA gigabit LAN connection?

Can some people copy data without those lock ups?

Greetings,
E.d.g.a.r

I have figured out that the lock ups occure only while receiving much data over the network. Sending data will not result in system freezing.

I think the board is damaged. I will return it.

Maybe somebody can check this out.

Bye!

Hi, I am using the onboard gigabit LAN connection and had no problems so far. Both 100Mbit and 1000Mbit works without any freezes, so it's likely that your board is damaged or something is misconfigured in XP or your network.

Spawn182

Thank you for your reply.

I will return the board for RMA because a misconfigured netzwork should not freeze the whole system.

So I will have to use the office computer (Abit IS7, which is also a great board with some little Problems, but which board is perfect?) until the IC7-G returns.

Bye so far.

I get problem with IC7-G onboard LAN too. It keep said "the LAN is unluged", I think the onboard lan doesnt work well at high FSB, mine is 255FSB. Someone have that problem too?

Hi again!

I have returned the old IC7-G board. The board has been replaced by a new one with version number 1.1!

And again, the onboard LAN controller causes system freezes when recieving much data over ethernet. The error occurs not as often as with the old board. In 100 MBit mode the LAN works stable as far as I can test it. But in gigabit LAN mode the errors still hang up the system.

I have a fast RAID 0 system, so using a single hard drive may not stress the board enough to cause the freezes. To test I try to copy UT2004 (about 6 GBs of data) from another computer to this one. In gigabit mode the system freezes always during this operation. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later.

Of course I diabled all overclocking before testing!

So this is already the 2nd IC7-G and the problem still exists. So there must be some other users having the same problem...?

Can anybody help?

I have an IC7-G, and have transfered data (20gb) to another computer with a 100mbps connection, and it worked fine.

Not sure if this helps, but another data point none the less.

Thank you for your reply!

The thing is, sending data works fine, but receiving doesn't. So try to copy the data back to your PC. If you are using the IC7-G version 1.1 you will maybe not have the problem in 100mbps mode.

When copying large files in contrast to many small ones the error occurs more early because the data transfer rate is higher.

Ed

Diablo23RD said:
I get problem with IC7-G onboard LAN too. It keep said "the LAN is unluged", I think the onboard lan doesnt work well at high FSB, mine is 255FSB. Someone have that problem too?

I've never ad any issues with the onboard LAN. Works up to at least 300FSB for me.

Have you installed the latest drivers for the SATA controllers?
Latest chipset drivers?
Locked AGP/PCI in BIOS?
Re-installed Windows?

Hi!

Thank you for your replies.

I have tried all these things without success. (new Windows, new drivers, new BIOS, etc.)

The new board should arrive next week. I will post my results.

Ed

I have the exact same problem!!! And this is my second IC7-G. are you RMAing and getting another IC7-G or getting a new board entirely? I ordered a new pci slot network card from newegg and I am going to use that instead. Let me know how your new board goes!!!

I have a 3.0C by the way. At 242fsb it would freeze or memory dump. At stock and up to about 233fsb so far it is just fine... I thought it was my chip! Hopefully the new network card will fix it so I don't have to strip my system down again. If we are lucky there will be a driver or bios update concerning this soon...

Last edited:
What bios are you all having this problem in? Bios 26 for IC7 was released not too long ago. However, on the release notes it doesn't say anything for a fix for onboard LAN but anyhow I've only been reading good things about bios 26.

My understanding is to take advantage of the fastest Gigabit LAN (1GB mode) you need to be connected to other Gigabit LAN machines in the network. Otherwise you can only use the 100 M mode.

Hi again!

veryhumid: I returned the first IC7-G and became the IC7-G Version 1.1 (the one with the aluminium chipset cooler known from the IS7).

Cid: The IC7-G V1.1 came with BIOS revision 2.6.

crotale: Latest Intel chipset and SATA drivers (I also tried older ones). PCI/AGP set to fixed 33/66 MHz in BIOS. Re-Installed Windows two times.

batboy: of course you need at least two gigabit adapters to get a gigabit high speed connection.

Thank you all,
Ed

crotale: Latest Intel chipset and SATA drivers (I also tried older ones). PCI/AGP set to fixed 33/66 MHz in BIOS. Re-Installed Windows two times.

yeah same here, I figured i installed the drivers at the wrong time, or the wrong order. what a pain.

batboy: when I am connected, It says I am connected at 100. But the card is set to autodetect the speed of the network in the intel control panel. I am going to just set it to 100 full duplex and see what happens.

Also the drivers have about 20 enable/disable options in one of those pulldown menus in the driver window, I wonder if one of those might help...

Ed are you by any chance using a long length of ethernet cable?

Oh got my net card from newegg, If none of this works
i am going to reinstall and NOT reinstall the onboard net card driver.

Hi to all!

The 3rd replacement board arrived today. I set up a simple system with only the AGP card, Memory and CPU. Drives: 1 CD-ROM and 2 RAID0 disks. I used a new power supply and new PC3200 memory. I reinstalled windows from scratch. Drivers: 1st intel chipset utility, 2nd newest gigabit lan drivers. No other drivers were installed.

I tested with UT2004. I copied over gigabit lan from my 2nd computer via direct link. 1st time copy was successful, I tried again and system freezes at 30% copy progress.

Even when copying to a non raid drive the system freezes!

So, the 3rd mboard is a mess, too! I returned and I am waiting for my money now. In my opinion the IC7-G has a major problem with the CSA gigabit adapter. Everybody should test this out and return this thing to ABIT.

I will buy the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe.

Thanks to all,
Ed

Last edited:
Maybe the other NIC is faulty, causing your system to freeze?
Tried installing Windows on another disk?
Copying in the other direction? (not uploading, but downloading from the other comp)
Tried copying over a FTP connection?

Sorry, but I've got a hard time thinking all CSA NICs on the IC7-G board are faulty... :cool:
One more thing. If you can, get the Asus board before selling/returning the Abit board, to do some other tests :rolleyes:

*EDIT*
Re-read all posts.
Can you try installing on a separate disk, and exclude the RAID disks completly, and then try the network?

Last edited:
i find it is still a very good board, even though I have the exact same problem everything else is being pretty good to me. For 5-15 bucks you can get a network card to work around the whole problem. I did a fresh install with a pci net card, and disabled the onboard lan and i am back in business. but i agree, that is pretty lame of abit to have this problem. I have had 2 boards with the same issue.

Back