• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too many choices, just tell me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snickers76

Heres my system:
Asus p4c800-e deluxe - Link to this mobo
Chipset Intel 875p + ich5r
P4 2.4
Case - Antec Performance Plus - Link to my case
Antec true power 430w PSU
1g ram kvr400x64c25/512 x2
ATI Radeon 9600 pro 128mb ram

Dude if someone will tell me what the hell to buy, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't know jack about which pump/brand/block/cpu/chipset/...to buy

I've been looking for over a week and can't decide which kit to buy. I think i want a larger radiator than just a sigle fan radiator. I'm pulled towards swiftec but I like the prometia radiators. HELP!!!

I just want to overclock my 2.4 - 3.0 (if thats safe) and my Video card.
I need a CPU and a GPU and I'm not sure if i need a chipset block but if you think so then please let me know.

Uh, you should be able to go from 2.4 to 3.0 without water cooling. Hell, you might be able to do it with the stock Intel cooler. Also, paying $200 for a 9800 Pro would get you much better performance than paying $200 for a WC system to OC your 9600.

As for what to buy, use the search feature.

Radiator - Heatercore from autozone with 1/2" fittings that will accomodate two 120mm fans.
Pump - For silence, Swiftech MCM600. For power, Iwaki WMD-20RLT. The Swiftech should be fine.
CPU Block - The new cheap swiftech is king
GPU/Chipset Block - I have no idea, DangerDen is a good place to start, I think

NicePants42 said:
Uh, you should be able to go from 2.4 to 3.0 without water cooling. Hell, you might be able to do it with the stock Intel cooler. Also, paying $200 for a 9800 Pro would get you much better performance than paying $200 for a WC system to OC your 9600.

As for what to buy, use the search feature.

Radiator - Heatercore from autozone with 1/2" fittings that will accomodate two 120mm fans.
Pump - For silence, Swiftech MCM600. For power, Iwaki WMD-20RLT. The Swiftech should be fine.

search feature? :thup: !!!

consider the DD D4/MCP650

TDX with nozzle #5 is best as measured by procooling, MCW6000 is good also

NicePants42 said:

ok i took some of this advice...I just bought an ATI Radeon x800 xt platinum 256mb for $513 it will ship in mid october seeing that it hasn't been released yet.

Now onto the watercooling for the cpu and possibly the chipset.

I idle at 27C and with Battlefield Vietnam it gets up to 46C. IMO thats a little high for air cooled. I have two fans in the front/two in the back/one on the side (not including the two in the PSU) I'm using Motherboard Monitor 5 to monitor my temps.

Supply list:
Stock 86 Chevette Heater Core (for radiator)
2x 1/2" copper barbs (for connecting radiator tubes to 1/2"ID tubing)
Flux (for fluxing barbs and heatercore)
Solder (for soldering barbs to heatercore)
Propane Torch (for soldering)
Sheet Aluminim (for 1x or 2x shrouds)
Dremel (for cutting stuff)
Sharpy marker (for applying cut lines onto alumunim)
1x or 2x 120MM fans (for cooling radiator)
4x long screws/bolt and 4x nuts and 4x washers (for mounting heatercore, fan, shroud to case)
A package of weather stripping tape (acts as a cusion for potentially vibrating parts, heatercore, pump, fan, shroud, etc..)
Several feet of clear 1/2"ID tubing (for water)
Plastic or copper T barb (for t-line)
A dozen hose clamp things (for tightening hose to barbs)
Waterblock (depends on if you need 2 or 3 barbs, I'm using 2 barb- D-Tek TC4)
I know nothing about GPU waterblocks, but again, D-Tek customs has a few to look at
Gallon of water (you want the purest of water, de-ionized... etc...)
Maybe Sierra coolant (for color and to keep water clearish, sierra is also known to be safe).
Eheim 1048 (pump)

I know I forgot a few things, but I recommend EHEIM 1048 pump, 86 Chevette Heatercore radiator, Sierra coolant, and for my setup I'm using a d-tek tc4 waterblock.

sounds like he doesnt want to be doing too much modding. if you dont know what your doing maybe you should buy one of the bundled kits from dangerden or dtekcustoms

NicePants42 said:

you didn't mention a resevoir. Do you use a t-line?

Last edited:
Back