• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memtest question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ketchup318

i've been using memtest to see how much more i can raise my system FSB lately. i know you are supposed to set the multiplier to the lowest and then test the memory, but why is that? when you finally raise your multiplier and set your final clock speed, should that be the settings you use for memtest?

i'm asking this cause at 6*235 i'm ok, but at 10*235 memtest fails almost instantaneously.... thanks

We use a low multi for testing RAM to find the max FSB. We know for sure that the processor is not unstable because it is running at a low multi, therefore low speed. So any instabilities that arise are most likely caused from making the FSB too high. Your processor is probably unstable at 10*235 because it doesn't have enough voltage. 6*235 is only 1.4 GHz. That's underclocking your processor. 10*235 is 2.3 GHz. That's overclocking your processor. Give the CPU a little more voltage and test for stability at 10*235.

ZachM said:
We use a low multi for testing RAM to find the max FSB. We know for sure that the processor is not unstable because it is running at a low multi, therefore low speed. So any instabilities that arise are most likely caused from making the FSB too high. Your processor is probably unstable at 10*235 because it doesn't have enough voltage. 6*235 is only 1.4 GHz. That's underclocking your processor. 10*235 is 2.3 GHz. That's overclocking your processor. Give the CPU a little more voltage and test for stability at 10*235.

I would second that suggestion. Since you've already established that the ram will run stable at 235MHz, then the logical conclusion is that the cpu has become unstable, since it is the only component being affected by increasing the multiplier.

Back