• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Dual Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TalRW

I recently got my copy of doom 3 and then when I tried installing it said it wasn't compatible with windows 98 :cry:. So today I'm going to pick up a copy of win2k (I have personal reasons for hating XP) and I want to set up a a dual boot and I was reading how on some googled websites. My one question was on one hard drive can I have 2 seperate partitions in 2 seperate file formats, in other words on a single drive can I have Win2k in NTFS file format and keep Win98 in Fat32

I also know that if this does work that the 98 partition won't be able to read the 2000, but that would be ok because I would be using 2k only for games and 98 for the rest of my stuff.

Last edited:
You like Windows 98 that much? OK, it's personal choice, but I was glad to leave that operating system behind when I could.

You can install 2000 on a FAT32 partition, so you can still read the data with your Win98 setup. You may find that 2000 (don't forget all the Service Packs!!!) runs more stabley (is that a real word? :p ) than 98, and decide to stick with it for good........

Let us know how you get on!

I wouldn't say I like 98 more, it's just theres some things like I have some programs, like a video editing program on 98 already installed and I lost the CD a while ago so I would rather keep it since I can't install it on 2k with out the CD. Furthermore I have tried 2000 and liked what I have seen, but I've been using 98 for as long as I can remember and I am really familiar with it, so maybe once I fully adjust I may switch over but while that takes place I'll just stay what I feel comfortable with.

Do you mind saying what your reason for not liking Windows XP are? I'd like to know. I upgraded almost right away and I have loved the change. I'm just curious.

Back