• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ABIT IC7-Max3 SATA of P4C800-E Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eulercdc

My question is this:

I have 2 SATA Western Digital 7200RPM on my P4C800-E Deluxe pluged on the ICH5R Intel raid set as 0.
I'm planing to test the ABIT IC7-Max3 that i received last week, and put the 2 HD of the Asus mobo on Abit set as raid 0... is that possible to do so without losing my data??? Are they compatible or should i reformat the HD???

Thanks!

Hay!

There should be no problem using the two hard disks on both boards ICH5R chips. AFAIK the bios revisions of the ICH5R is even downward compatible (if the max3 has older ICH5R-BIOS).

I have moved two SATA disks from IS7 ICH5R to IC7-G ICH5R without repartitioning or formatting.

Bye,
Edgar, call me Ed if you like... :)

E.d.g.a.r said:
Hay!

There should be no problem using the two hard disks on both boards ICH5R chips. AFAIK the bios revisions of the ICH5R is even downward compatible (if the max3 has older ICH5R-BIOS).

I have moved two SATA disks from IS7 ICH5R to IC7-G ICH5R without repartitioning or formatting.

Bye,
Edgar, call me Ed if you like... :)

Hi Edgar,

Thanks for the Help, but i've asked about the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe. They're compatible? Asus and Abit??

Thanks!

This should not be a problem.

Both boards use intel ICH5R controllers, so the hardware side should work.
Propably the BIOS can be the problem, but most motherboard manufacturers use a standard BIOS delivered from Intel. And if they change the BIOS it should be compatible to all array sets created with an intel ICH5R controller with standard BIOS.

My words to this: plug in and look what is happening. As far as you do not change the array assignment in the controllers BIOS of your new board after connecting your hard drives no data will be deleted.
I repeat: when it is not working, what means if the ICH5R BIOS does not detect the existing arrays on your disks, it will not work. Then you have to reconfigure the arrays sets what means total data loss, but until then no data will be changed on the disks. So there is no risk to check it out, man!

Greetings from germany brought to you by:
Edgar

E.d.g.a.r said:
This should not be a problem.

Both boards use intel ICH5R controllers, so the hardware side should work.
Propably the BIOS can be the problem, but most motherboard manufacturers use a standard BIOS delivered from Intel. And if they change the BIOS it should be compatible to all array sets created with an intel ICH5R controller with standard BIOS.

My words to this: plug in and look what is happening. As far as you do not change the array assignment in the controllers BIOS of your new board after connecting your hard drives no data will be deleted.
I repeat: when it is not working, what means if the ICH5R BIOS does not detect the existing arrays on your disks, it will not work. Then you have to reconfigure the arrays sets what means total data loss, but until then no data will be changed on the disks. So there is no risk to check it out, man!

Greetings from germany brought to you by:
Edgar

Ok...
Thank you very much!

I was affraid to loose all my work...

I'll be trying next week and post my results.

Thanks again! :burn:

I have done it. No problem at all. I have also went from a P4C to a Max 3 without reformatting and that will also work fine. If you need more info on how to do the second part let me know. :D

Back