• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with building a water chiller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Megatron1977

Hey, I'm new here and I just started building a water chiller out of a mini fridge. I know that an a/c would yeild better results, but I can keep drinks in a mini fridge. Anyways, I have a new Whirlpool fridge, and I don't see a condensor on it, anyone know where it's located? I've almost taken it compleatly apart, and called Wirlpool, but I still can't find it. I want to drill through the side of my fridge but I don't want to mess it up. One other thing, how much insulation should I use on the water tubes? Since this shouldn't deep freeze the liquid will one pipe insulator work on each line? Thanks.

Megatron1977 said:
Hey, I'm new here and I just started building a water chiller out of a mini fridge. I know that an a/c would yeild better results, but I can keep drinks in a mini fridge. Anyways, I have a new Whirlpool fridge, and I don't see a condensor on it, anyone know where it's located? I've almost taken it compleatly apart, and called Wirlpool, but I still can't find it. I want to drill through the side of my fridge but I don't want to mess it up. One other thing, how much insulation should I use on the water tubes? Since this shouldn't deep freeze the liquid will one pipe insulator work on each line? Thanks.
Does it use peltiers by any chance?

Edited to add:

Welcome to the Forums!

And now back to our originally scheduled post.......

Any link to info on the fridge?

The pelt question is pretty important: many of the newer, very small mini-fridges are cooled by peltiers (Thermo-electric coolers, aka TEC) and are not up to the task of cooling a computer.
Just too much of a heat load.

If you can link to the fridge, or just post model numbers we can probably find it. ;)

If it IS a refrigeration-based mini-fridge: most of them have the cooling coils in the freezer area which cools the rest of the fridge.
Larger units may have an exposed condenser on the bottom or back, but many (especially lighter duty units) will have plain tubing running through the walls of the unit and use the exterior of the fridge to cool them.
Not the most efficient design, but clean and attractive appearance. :(

Last edited:
The fridge

Here is a link to the fridge.
http://www1.shopping.com/xPF-Whirlpool_EL02CCX
I don't think it's a peltier fridge because it has a compresser, and an evaporator. I've checked under and behind the fridge and didn't find anything. SpaceRangerJoe gave me a good idea on how to locate it so I'm gonna try that. Then go from there.

Megatron1977 said:
Here is a link to the fridge.
http://www1.shopping.com/xPF-Whirlpool_EL02CCX
I don't think it's a peltier fridge because it has a compresser, and an evaporator. I've checked under and behind the fridge and didn't find anything. SpaceRangerJoe gave me a good idea on how to locate it so I'm gonna try that. Then go from there.
Well if there's a compresser and evaporater present, it shouldn't use peltiers... I'd be willing to bet the condenser IS in the sides of the fridge :( Drill through the door instead, it will work out for you...

Back