• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSOS Official SP2 Thread: FINALLY SP2 is OUT! FINAL!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

germanjulian

http://winbeta.org/

I am downloading it now. Should be available to the public in a few days. Let's only mention official distribution channels. Legal copies will be available soon enough. -- macklin01 This is the FINAL product!

JJUHHUUUUUUUUU :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Im going to wait for a couple days and download it off the windows.com website.

Winbeta is pretty credible, but what they say about SP2 makes me think EVERYONE should wait, I'll quote:

"Just so you know the friendly people here at WinBeta Labs have downloaded and looked at the file xpsp2_RTM_ENU.exe that is floating around the web .

Be Aware this file is not i repeat not digitally signed by the good people at Microsoft. Obtain and install at your own risk.

WE ADVISE THAT YOU WAIT PATIENTLY FOR THE PROPER ANNOUNCEMENT FROM MICROSOFT."

nikhsub1 said:
Winbeta is pretty credible, but what they say about SP2 makes me think EVERYONE should wait, I'll quote:

"Just so you know the friendly people here at WinBeta Labs have downloaded and looked at the file xpsp2_RTM_ENU.exe that is floating around the web .

Be Aware this file is not i repeat not digitally signed by the good people at Microsoft. Obtain and install at your own risk.

WE ADVISE THAT YOU WAIT PATIENTLY FOR THE PROPER ANNOUNCEMENT FROM MICROSOFT."

Thanks for the heads-up, think I will wait like the others.

^^ exactly,

i dont really see the point in braggin over

HEY i got SP2!! installed and look how my computer suddenly has spyware / viruses and got hacked!

Are you going to sacn thought file by file to make sure their are no backdoors in that Service pack? it has been done before.

There is already info about SP2 on Windows Update...
What can you do now to ensure you get Windows XP Service Pack 2?
The best way to get Windows XP Service Pack 2 is by using the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP. Visit the Protect Your PC site to let us turn it on for you or follow three manual steps—either way you’ll get Service Pack 2 automatically as Microsoft releases it. Turning on Automatic Updates today allows your PC to begin downloading important updates automatically, including the latest version of Windows Update. It also ensures you will receive future updates, such as Service Pack 2.
So it looks like it's comming SOON! I woulden't trust it till it's on Windows Update, but then again I also don't trust everything on windows update ;)

I plan on doing a new build on a spare drive when it does get release thru proper channels, just to see how/what happens before I put it on my main PC's.

But yes, soon. I got my usual e-mail thing from ZD-Net this morning mentioning this, and from what I've read, it's already in the hands of the OEMs, and will be available @ Microsoft's site for public download by the end of the month.

I can wait until then, I'd rather get it from the source, if you know what I mean. ;)

ill wait till a bunch of people install the official one and see how it goes. things are runnin smooth here no need to rock the boat.

The advice that will come from any member of the forums staff is:

Wait, and download it from Microsoft.

A few days won't kill you:)

Personally, I'm going to test this "so called" final in a virtual machine, but wait for the official release from MS before installing it on my system.

Last edited:
RedDeathDrinker said:
The advice that will come from any member of the forums staff is:

Wait, and download it from Microsoft.

A few days won't kill you:)

Personally, I'm going to test this "so called" final in a virtual machine, but wait for the official release from MS before installing it on my system.

Hey Red! How are ya!

Absolutely. Why screw around with a Service Pack from a Warez site, that might be "altered" God only knows how.... :eek: Get it right from the "horse's mouth". What's a couple more weeks (considering it's already been pushed back a few months)... :rolleyes:

I'm going one step further....I'll wait for the "official" release, and test that on a "virtual machine"... :p

iv been running the beta for a while now and haven't had any major problems, i proabaly won't test the official on a virtual machine :p... not that i even know how to do that :(

I'm not going to install it until I hear some feedback on it. I've heard bad things about it, as well as the potential for a lot of programs to stop working when you install it. Makes me hesitant.

... i just said that iv been running it without problems, and none of the problems have stopped working for me.

One last reason as to why you might want to wait... If Dell and alike is getting SP2 first, they are most likely also testing it before they deploy the service pack...

What if Dell finds a bug? Microsoft releases a small fix patch to the OEMs that got the pre-major-release-SP2 and then put the digitally signed and also now fixed SP2 out for general consumption.

If something like that happened, few people would know about it because only the OEMs should have SP2 before the public. However, if one were to download an OEM SP2, then they might be running an SP2 that has a bug that Windows Update might not even have the patch to fix (being that it thinks nobody, outside OEM, would have that flawed SP2).

I'm not doomsaying, nor do I have some inside information that nobody else has. I am making up a hypothetical situation that, if it did happen, would make people who got SP2 now have more problems than the people who decided to wait. With major OS updates, I think waiting might be the best option, at least in my opinion.

ok all seems to work. i did a fresh install of winxp with sp2 intigrated.

only problem is that after i install my audigy 2 update drives and windows restarts windows gets stuck at the logon screen when logging on.

now thats creatives fault for making the pooest drives ever. using kx drives cause I never use eax anyway.

all works. to disable the annoying reminder to switch on auto updates and firewall just go into services and disable the service for it. I cant be bothered to look for it now but it has the most obvious name.

sp2 is good I suppose.... nothing great but it works...

DMac said:
I'm not going to install it until I hear some feedback on it. I've heard bad things about it, as well as the potential for a lot of programs to stop working when you install it. Makes me hesitant.

As have I. That's why I'll throw a spare drive into my main system and do a fresh install on it, add in my usual apps, and then slap SP2 on that. If I have no problems, then and only then will I put it on the main rig.

Back