• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big problems installing winxp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

12am

Hi I'm having serious trouble installing winxp on my machine. (specs are in sig).
Ok so here is what I've got.
1)set computer to stock speeds
2)booted from the cd rom
3)windows setup starts (albiet very slowly like running on a 486)
4)finally get into the setup and it locks up everytime.
At this point I go back to my o/c'd settings and try steps 1-3 each play out exactly the same except instead of locking up it proceeds with the install.
5)I delete the old partitions and create new ones while formatting to ntfs
6)I set it to install. And it begins, about 45mins later it asks to reboot so I do.
7)I go back to boot from hd
8)It shows the winxp startup screen for about 5 minutes, then the screen goes black for about 5 more minutes, then the screen goes grey again for about 5 minutes, then it gets into the setup. It starts setting up, the installation has been going for 2 hours and I have no progress bar or anything it still says there are 39 mins left, but the text showing winxp features keeps cycling. I have tried this: Restarting, running stock, running mildly o/c, running full o/c (this seems to work the best) reformatted, tried fat32, tried ntfs, tried reinstalling, nothing is working. I have tried legal unactivated copies of both winxp home and winxp pro, both don't work. I'm going around the bend, xp is crap and it's making me long for winme again, I just wanna play doom3 darnit can someone help me?

do you have a raid controller or any other hardware you can disable?

take out any erxtras like extra USB cards and such and do it with basic hardware installed.

No no raid controllers on my board. I have the dvd rom drive cpu mem mobo nic and vidcard in there. Is that basic enough?

okay now it's running semi fast, but when it goes to install after loading all the files and restarting it comes up with this error lsass.exe system error. object name not found. I'm literally pulling my hair out over here, never in my life have I had such a hard time installing an o/s.

No one can shed some light? ok, just a wild question but could a faulty dvd rom be bringing this installation down?

I can at least tell you this much for now:
What is it?
Local Security Authentication Server

What does it do?
It generates the process responsible for authenticating users for the Winlogon service. This process is performed by using authentication packages such as the default Msgina.dll. If authentication is successful, Lsass generates the user's access token, which is used to launch the initial shell. Other processes that the user initiates inherit this token.

You will not be able to end this through task manager!

I'll edit more in as I find out more. Now since I'm replying and can't see your sig, are you networked? How are you hooked to the internet. It could be windows is crashing because it's trying to start the activation process and something in the networking setup is wrong. What are your networking settings BTW?

DWolf:cool:

ok, after a 5 hour wait, windows xp is installed, but my pc is acting as if it had a 486 cpu installed, Installing mobo drivers was a 30 minute affair and the ati display drivers were another 30 minute affair. To make a long story short winxp is working however my computer has transformed from a beast into a little kitten and everything is running so slow it isn't even funny.

Two things I would try:

1. Loading the Bios setup defaults and see what happens.

2. Reflashing the Bios, first with the same version you are using now and maybe an earlier version if that didnt work.

Al

in answer to the questions, I already had the latest bios for my board installed. After reading both of your posts I went back a few bioses and that didn't work, also went back to the newest bios and that didn't work either. Grrr what a rough affair, any other ideas?

I had a similar thing happen and it turned out to be my hard drive, can you run the hard drive diagnostics from the manufacturer? Right after it was slow like yours the hard drive went completely bad and got errors and then would not format anymore. :rolleyes:

fastcuda said:
I had a similar thing happen and it turned out to be my hard drive, can you run the hard drive diagnostics from the manufacturer? Right after it was slow like yours the hard drive went completely bad and got errors and then would not format anymore. :rolleyes:

I was wondering that too. The A7V333 does not have a PCI lock and the higher FSB could have pushed your drive to it's limit causing it to begin failing.

Try another drive if you can get ahold of one, or try your drive in a friend's PC.

Al

that's something I'm going to check into, although I did install winme on another partition and it is running super fast and super stable. This is really wierd. Also the third partition on my harddrive is missing all it's files, and I didn't even format it, that is really a bummer because I had alot of critical files on there that I hadn't backed up.

ok, the drives diagnostic tools are reporting that the drive is in excellent condition and no s.m.a.r.t thresholds are reached. It's wierd, everything runs sorta fine, but when loading something it kinda goes and then pauses for a bit and then goes again, and then pauses. Like a couple hours ago when I went to play doom3, the opening movie would play for about 30 seconds, then it would pause for about 10-15 seconds (the sound would still be running) and then it would continue on, I tell ya I'm so stumped.

That is one of the strangest things I have heard.

I would try the drive in another computer to see what happens and maybe try another drive in yours. Maybe something is going in the motherboard?

Al

12am said:
ok, the drives diagnostic tools are reporting that the drive is in excellent condition and no s.m.a.r.t thresholds are reached. It's wierd, everything runs sorta fine, but when loading something it kinda goes and then pauses for a bit and then goes again, and then pauses. Like a couple hours ago when I went to play doom3, the opening movie would play for about 30 seconds, then it would pause for about 10-15 seconds (the sound would still be running) and then it would continue on, I tell ya I'm so stumped.

I had a simular problem, the intro videos to my games would pause or menu's would pause and load really slow, a reinstall of my Chipset drivers solved the issue.

Well after exhasting every trick in my book and 2 days of messing around with hardware/software I have it finally installed. As it turns out it looks like the mobo was just having an incompatability with winxp, no ammount of driver updating fixed the issue, I switched to a new mobo and winxp took to it like a fish out of water. Problem solved and doom3 played, I am exhausted but happy now.

Thats really strange.

There must be something wrong with the board. I used an A7V333 with XP and it's still running it fine over at my Ex's.

Wierd.

But glad you managed a work around, ended up doing the same thing I would have done ;)

Al

Indeed it was strange, my leading hypothesis is that from prolonged use at overclocked speeds one or both of the ide channels got borked (this came about after noticing the cdrom and hdd led would flash then stop while transfering a file and the file taking ungodly ammounts of time to copy or load) indeed it was a saga I regret and do not wish to experience any time soon, and as if my luck would get any better it seems like one of my sticks of ram has bit the dust too, as it refuses to boot in this new mobo, forcing me to go back to pc2700 till I can afford replacements :(. I would like to thank all the members who offered suggestions up in this trying time.

Edit: on a side note, I must have applied a very nice coat of as5 as my cpu temps are unbelievable at 2380mhz 1.775v: 32cidle 39cload.

Back