• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best cooling for an IC7 Max 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zero cool

Hi folks :)

I am new to this place and to oc'n so I am looking for some help please.

I have an ic7 max3 board with a p4 2.6 cpu but am using the stock heatsink/fan combo I got with the chip but as I am trying to oc the temps are going up to 50+ and I think it would be good idea to invest in some good cooling.

It would appear that I should get some arctic silver 5 paste yes/no? but as for heatsinks and fans I am fairly unsure. the otes on the board makes it a snug fit for the heatsink so can anyone guide me as to what I should be going for please?

Also the smaller blue heatsink fan on my board covering the chip seems to really be struggling and stops/starts and varies in speed, anyone else have this problem and what should I do to fix it, if that is necessary?

thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer me

zero :)

You should try Arctic Ceramique instead of Arctic Silver 5 with Pentium 4 CPUs. Are you running Northwood or Prescott? Really affordable heatsink you can get to Pentium 4 platforms is Thermalright SP-94.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To get a good o/c you should b able to hit 3Ghz at least with your comp, but first get artic silver 5 as people swear by it, also get a thermalright sp-94 and a panaflow 92mm fan that should keep temps down a bit also what is your whole st up inc memory etc

Phil

PHILIP1193 said:
but first get artic silver 5 as people swear by it

You haven't tested any other compound? Arctic silver 5 is not the best you can use with pentium 4 setup. With AMD it's best because of smaller area to transfer the heat from cpu to heatsink. Arctic Ceramique is what you need to get, and it fits perfectly to P4.

PHILIP1193 said:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To get a good o/c you should b able to hit 3Ghz at least with your comp, but first get artic silver 5 as people swear by it, also get a thermalright sp-94 and a panaflow 92mm fan that should keep temps down a bit also what is your whole st up inc memory etc

Phil

Hiya Phil, :)

thanks for the welcome and thanks to you and zebbo for the help. Sorry for the delay but I have had a couple of bits of bother :( Anyway back now. I will add my rig to my sig and if you have any other suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

Thanks

zc

thermalright sp-94 and a panaflow 92mm fan perform very well. dont buy the coolermaster hyper6! it doesnt fit for MAX3. I bought it last week, I need to do some modding for the hyper6.. ! but hyper 6 is a good cooler

He... I'm using the same board.

I think the stopping/starting of Northbridge fan has something to do with the settings at BIOS, check that out. It will not function or slow down below certain speed.

And does anyone know where I can find thermalright sp-94 in Singapore? No VISA

Back