• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much ram can we feed doom3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CyberFed

ok i ran the showmemoryusage command to track how much memory doom 3 was actually eating..it got as high as 1.9GB at one point. I have a gig of ram now, so I know alot of that was getting paged out...would you say 2 or 3 gigs would suffice?

(posted here i suppose this is more memory related than game? :eh?: )

Where do you put this command?
Around my mates i press ctrl+alt+del when playin doom the task manager popped up saying 750mb was being used and his system uses 200mb anyway.

i had doom3 crash on me due to my system and got the error that my system was low on page file.
i usually run with it turned off but not anymore and thats with 1 gig ram.

im not buying another gig just for a game tho.cant wait to see it oh high detail and AA when my 9800pro gets here.

You can never feed Doom3 enough! It's always hungry, always waiting. It's always wanting more!!

This coming from a guy with 512MB of RAM. :p

Yeah i just got back from doom3... running at Ultra High graphics mode at 1152x864 with 6x AA.... 1gb PC3200 running at 450MHz 2-2-2-5..........

runs PERFECTLY.... very smooth. only slight hesitation when theres like 6 monsters in a high detail scene.

Cant wait to get my TEC & waterblock for my 9800p@XT... :)

small contest:

in-game hit ctr+alt+~ type "timedemo demo1.demo" and note your score

mine is 29.2 fps

1280*1024 high detail AA 4x

the timedemo takes 400MB of ram, normal play still 600/700. weird :beer:

(@ moderator: this is offtopic. make a new thread?)

Sjaak said:
small contest:

in-game hit ctr+alt+~ type "timedemo demo1.demo" and note your score

mine is 29.2 fps

1280*1024 high detail AA 4x

the timedemo takes 400MB of ram, normal play still 600/700. weird :beer:

(@ moderator: this is offtopic. make a new thread?)

That might be because the timedemo is like a cutscene but in-game has to load up sounds, AI, user interface, and all sorts of crap. Maybe.

Chowdy said:
That might be because the timedemo is like a cutscene but in-game has to load up sounds, AI, user interface, and all sorts of crap. Maybe.

POING.

theres no sound in the timedemo, and ye, its only a small cutscene. stupid me.

i like the load system of farcry better - whenever i die in doom i have to reload the whole level 10 / 15 secs, but in farcry it takes only a glimp because it stores more stuff in ram.

I get 45fps on high quality 1024x768 on my 9800pro.
You have to run the demo twice for your real fps, as the 1st time its caching.

jenko said:
I get 45fps on high quality 1024x768 on my 9800pro.
You have to run the demo twice for your real fps, as the 1st time its caching.

But you're going to experience all of the caching in-game.

Chowdy said:
But you're going to experience all of the caching in-game.

True. though the second run gave me 5fps more, it has no impact on normal gameplay (anyone for doing the same level twice? :p)

Back