• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing CD-ROM Drive Windows 2000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evlich

Registered
Hello, I am attempting to install a CD drive in my very old computer (it is an old Compaq 400Mhz). Anyways, Windows detects the drive and puts it in the device manager, but it ends up with that yellow ! next to it. When I look at the problem in the properties window it says
"Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)"
I have tried all the suggestions by the Windows troubleshooter and I get no where. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks a lot.

If you are sure that it is a good drive? You could try checking in the device manager under IDE ATA /ATAPI and go into properties for the channel its on and setting it for the PIO only option. Also look at the jumpering of the Drive itself.

Edit: The cable also could be a problem.

The cable seems fine, and I don't think it is the drive because I have also tried it with a CD burner from my other computer which gives me the same error. In fact the problems started when I tried to switch out the CD drive that was in there with the CD burner so that I could burn some stuff to get my other computer fixed.

Hard to say, some of the thing i would try and you may have already are.

Put the CD on the same cable has the HD and jump both as CS and see what you get.

Put the HD and the CD on different IDE jump each as CS and see what you get

Remove the CD then boot with only the HD, go into the device manager and set the IDE channel that is empty on NONE and then reboot, then go into the device manager and set the empty channel to auto detect and shut down, then install the CD and then reboot.

Also check in the rclick my computer|manage|device manager and mess around with the settings in there for the optical, (edit, drive path)if reported.

If you have a spare HD see if a new instal of windows is possible using the new optical.

Check for a BIOS update

Check for a drive firmware update

Hope this helps, and usually for those types of problems its sometimnes just messing around, and then just stumbling on to the fix.

Also here are some links related to this error:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=314060

http://www.driverzone.com/obb/read.php?TID=163&page=1

Some of the links I looked at pointed this error to a conflict with Roxio CD player software

Last edited:
Back