• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

window doesn't recognize firewire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

text

Registered
Help please! I have an audigy platinum and I also tried to use that firewire port besides the firewire that came with the main board but window doesn't recognize the firewire. I have a camcorder dcrtrv27 and when I plug in the firewire nothing happens. Usually when you plug something in window will pop up the hardware installation right? Any ideas?

I have the option to turn my firewire off in my bios. And when it is turned off windows wont recognize a device even when it is plugged in. Go into your bios and see if it is turned off. That should fix your motherboard FW. When it come to your audigy I have no ideas, I don't have one.

the option in my bios is set to the default which is enabled.

I assume you have XP pro with SP1? What device/s do you have and have you installed the drivers for them? My digital camera and my digital video cam also need to be turned on to a specific setting before the computer will recognize them. Whatever you are trying to plug in may also need to be set to a certain mode.

Do you see a 1394 Firewire controller in your Device Manager?

I know I had a faulty MoBo FW chip that caused my lack of FW issue on a P4C800-Dlx. A RMA anda new MoBo fixed it right up...

Later :cool:

actually I have two firewire controller. One is the Texas and the other one is the OHNC something so it is there. Don't know what happened. :(

Have you read through your Camera manual to ensure you have turned it on correctly to plug it into the computer? My Canon has to be on Play mode not record mode to plug it in. If you have the Firewire controllers appearing in your device manager then it should work. If that doesn't work maybe try a different Firewire cable, I know they are rather expensive so maybe just borrow one.

ok, after several weeks of trying to get the firewire working, still no luck. :( It is frustrating now. anyone know why window doesn't recognize the firewire? I have bought two kind of firewire 4-4 and the 4-6 and still wouldn't work. Also I have borrowed a different camcorder from one of my friend and it is still no work. Third, I have tried pluging it on another computer and still wouldn't work. :( This is very frustrating, if anyone would be kind enough to help me solved this problem i'll take them to a dinner. :) I have window xp sp2 btw.

it sounds like you need to RMA your Camera. I had a mini-DV camera that did the same thing. It turned out that nearly half the components inside needed to be replaced...

I don't think it is the camcorder because I have borrowed my friend new camcorder and it does the same thing.

yes, it has two 1394 host controller. One is texas and ohnc something like I mentioned in the previous post. The reason it has two because i have audigy platinum and firewire that came with the motherboard.

If the controllers are there and have no icons on them noting that they have problems then the issue might be with the device itself, the cable, or the software you are using to interface with it.

Back