• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going to Try Water Cooling(Suggestions Please)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

.Maximus

Registered
I think I am going to finally give it a try. Big and loud fans just isn't cutting it anymore. I have done a search for months now, on what is a good water cooling system and what isn't. But I cannot decide on what I want. I do know that I want an easy install without modding my whole case. I have an Antec 1040 server case, which should be big enough to hold a cooling system. But which water cooling system? Any suggestions for a first time install of a water cooling system?

I But I cannot decide on what I want. I do know that I want an easy install without modding my whole case. I have an Antec 1040 server case, which should be big enough to hold a cooling system. But which water cooling system? Any suggestions for a first time install of a water cooling system?

If you don't know what you want... how are we supposed to know? :)

First: Are you planning on cooling the CPU, GPU, NB, Ram, PSU or Hard Drives?

Second: What are your goals? (Lower noise, Higher OC, Maybe you just wanted a new project)

Third: How much are you willing to spend?

Fourth: What do you consider excessive modding?

Fifth: What are your components, and how much space is availiable in your case? ( a link to some pics of the case, either yours or a bare one, would be helpful)

Looking at what I can only assume is the case you have (there appears to be multiple versions of it after a quick google).... you could fit a dual heatercore in the front if you relocated any drives you might have there to the 5.25 bay. This would neccessitate cutting up the front of the case (not the bezel, though that might help too) to make room for the 120s (I'm not certain you will find anyone to advise you to use 80mm rads with a case that big).

If you don't want to go all out like that, you could still just mod the lower half and stick a single 120 rad/core there.

Or if you've only got 1 optical drive, you could squeeze either size core up top. that would only require blowholes, or a square cut, depending on your personal taste.

Just the answer I have been looking for. Thanks.

I find sarcasm difficult to create in written form, but you seem to have it down to a science.

But given the lack of any useful information in either of your posts, I would suggest you keep your newfound skill of sarcasm to a minimum.

The response Thorilan gave was concise, relatively polite, and specific.

...ask specific questions

Are you planning on cooling the CPU, GPU, NB, Ram, PSU or Hard Drives?
I plan on cooling the cpu and gpu.
What are your goals? (Lower noise, Higher OC, Maybe you just wanted a new project)
Lower temps and a new project. lol!
How much are you willing to spend?
$300 MAX
What do you consider excessive modding?
I dont want to hack up the whole case to fit the water cooling system.
What are your components, and how much space is availiable in your case?
I have an AMD XP Barton 2500 unlocked. ATI 9800 PRO. Cosair XMS 3200. As far as how much space I have, the bottom part of my case doesn't have anything by it.
I find sarcasm difficult to create in written form, but you seem to have it down to a science
As I stated in my first post, I clearly said and I quote "I have done a search for months now, on what is a good water cooling system and what isn't"
To me that would be enough of information to anyone that I have been......I'll take a quote from thorilan,"READ the stickies" Which anyone knows that when you capitalize something they are emphasizing their point. So yes it was sarcasim considering what I already stated in my first post about researching for months now. I didn't think that pointing out the obvious was really that necessary. I just was hoping someone might have been in my shoes before and had a good water cooling setup for beginners. That was my whole point to my post.

Your answers to some of my questions was what I was looking for. And just what I needed to find out for myself. And I thank you for that. Today was the day that I decided to goto water cooling. So maybe it was a stupid question I asked, but not by a stupid person as I thought thorilan was implying.

Sorry if offended you and thorilan.

No offense was taken...

I think Thorilan's post hit you the same way it hit me.....

Were I in your shoes, I would have gotten angry. Of course that ends up with noone getting anywhere.

The important part was the Specific Q's bit.

$300 is a good budget for a good DIY setup.

First things first:

What Mobo? does it have mounting holes?

Is cutting a 120mm hole (or two) in the front/top of the case something you are willing to do?

Since your doing it for lower noise, and fun... you don't need an outrageous pump, just a decent one (two blocks to pump through). I know the Laing D4 has been popular lately, as well as the MCP600($$$$$$). The CSP mini pumps look interesting as well ( 3/8 ID system though). All of those connect via Molex, I think.

Do you want 3/8ID tubing (easier routing) or 1/2ID (slight performance increase)

This will help determine which pumps/blocks to eliminate.

Let me start off by saying-
Welcome to the Forums!

I have one thing to say about the beginning of this thread-

We have a lot of people who simply post up and ask what they should get without giving us any info at all....
As you can imagine, this gets tiresome by the 150th time you have responded to it. Sometimes someone will respond in a manner that is...less than conducive to helping or making someone feel welcomed in the forums. Stick around for a while and you too will find yourself in the same situation, eventually. ;)

The list Guderian posted up is an excellent starting point:
we now know that you need blocks for an AMD Barton 2500 and ATI 9800 Pro, you have plenty of room in the case and are willing to spend a decent chunk of change for the system.

We also know that you have some skill in the sarcasm department. ;)
Careful with that one, as it can alienate people if they don't realize you are joking in the future: the "smilies" can be of help there......

Back on topic,:D

Does your motherboard have the mounting holes around the cpu socket?
If not then you are a bit more limited on block choice, although there are at least a few good ones that you can use- Swiftech stuff comes to mind.

GPU block- no clue there- I don't do much with video water cooling.

Pumps: many options depending on how you want to go- 12v, AC hobby/pond pumps (most common) like Eheim, Mag, Hydor, etc.
There are also some big-money pumps that are even better, but you will eat up half or more of your budget perhaps- Iwaki is one example of these.

Then there are some fairly standard parts- 1/2" ID Clearflex or Tygon tube; heater core for a radiator- either a single 120mm fan size (1 fan per side) like the Chevette cores, or a dual 120mm fan sized core. I think the most common of those are late 70s Bonnevilles or something....some GM car, anyway.
There are other radiator options but they all cost more and vary from slightly less performance to slightly more- I think heater cores are the only option unless you have a strange case/goal in mind. ;)

As for exactly WHICH components to get- there are too many that are too close to being equal to say that THIS is better than THAT- just get THIS one. Take another look through some of the stickies and forums, look on some of the water cooling vendor sites (DTek, Swiftech, DD and such) and see what looks good to you.

When you list the stuff you are thinking about getting, or at least looking at, you will tend to get more help. :)

Thanks for understanding. It didn't **** me off too bad, but it did irritate me. I guess it's the heat! lol!
Thanks again for your help, it will really help me out deciding on what I need to do.
What Mobo? does it have mounting holes?
I just installed a new Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe about a month and half ago. Yes it has mounting holes.
Is cutting a 120mm hole (or two) in the front/top of the case something you are willing to do?
Sure, I can do that. I have modded quite a bit in my case already. The grills I have are cut out, to produce more airflow. I wanted to cut another hole in the top for a blowhole, but when it came right down to it I figured if I was to take everything out again, I might as well take everything out and install a better cooling sytem.
Since your doing it for lower noise, and fun... you don't need an outrageous pump, just a decent one (two blocks to pump through). I know the Laing D4 has been popular lately, as well as the MCP600($$$$$$). The CSP mini pumps look interesting as well ( 3/8 ID system though). All of those connect via Molex, I think.
Lower noise would be a major plus, but I can deal with extra noise if it cools my cpu and gpu better than what I have now. Which isn't all that great!
Do you want 3/8ID tubing (easier routing) or 1/2ID (slight performance increase)
1/2" for sure. I want to do this right so i don't have to upgrade anytime soon.
Thanks again for your help :)

Sorry for not replying to you also rogerdugans. I was typing away when you posted you reply. I hope some more of my answers help your questions as well. :thup:

Decide if you would rather mount the Rad/core in the front or up top.

I did the up top thing because I had to. If you go this route, make sure you leave enough room for the PSU and the PSU CABLING. I didn't and its quite the PITA.

I think most radiator recomendations will revolve around the 86 Chevette ($25), and the 77 Bonnyville($20), ( and maybe a few single pass rads). Both are cheap, and easily modded for our uses. Or you can get a premodded one from dtek for $10 more ($35).

If you go Dual 120 heatercore (77 bVille), I would recommend you put it in the front of the case, because airflow around your optical drive isn't very good, and thats where half your Core will be.

Tubing: stay away from the vinyl stuff. Its hard to work with and kinks easily. Tygon (soft and pricey) and clearflex (not as soft but not as pricey) are both popular.

Since you have the mounting holes, your block choices are wide open. I would go for the swiftech 6002, but I am biased ( no mounting holes, and I have a swiftech 5002 :) )

T-line Vs. Res: I prefer T-line; less likely to leak, less flow restriction, less space. But ask some of the res users for their side of it.

Fans: Plenty of opinions/threads on these.... 25mm vs 38mm, brand loyalty, and Bling-Bling (evercool alum).

Shrouds: Get/make one. Homemade with cardboard/aluminum, or manufactured plastic ones.

Get some worm drive clamps at lowes/home depot.

Distilled water, and some toxic (Non-"pet safe") antifreeze.

Yes i agree. Drinking water is a graat thing to try.....oh this is about water cooling!!!! my bad i just read the topic name.

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I have some decisions to make. I'll be back with more precise questions after I look around some more. Thanks again. I'm checking out D-TEK right now and a few others as I type. lol!

I am thinking about getting this system here>>>>> http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=102&HS=1
The only 2 things I am concearned with that system is, the water reserviour is small and the waterblocks.How are D-TEK'S waterblocks compared to others in your expierence's? Oh yeah, if I did get this system, I planned on upgrading to the aquaextreme pump and getting a gpu block as well. But I am not sold on the waterblocks yet.

I have no experience with their blocks. Spiral and TC4 are their own, and the whitewater is a creation of Cathars that Dtek bought the rights to.

I know some of the guys here have had all of these blocks, so I bet they can fill you in on the specifics.

The res doesn't have to be huge.... and if you don't like it you can always hit home depot for a T-line.

Ok, well I think I have decided on a setup. However, I am not sure how I want to do the heater core. What I mean is this. My computer is right next to a A/C supply. It is blowing cool air on my computer all day and night. That being said, I have 2 80mm fans blowing in the front of my case( blowing in nice and cool air btw:) So if I mounted the heater core there, would the 2 80mm fans blowing cool air on it be enough? I know once winter comes, I shut that supply, and no more cool air goes thru the case. Therefor I will have to use the 120mm fan to cool it. Will this be good enough to cool the radiator? Or should I just put the 120mm fan on it and blow the hot air out the front of my case? I found a picture inthese forums of the same case as I have>>>>>>>>> http://www.myrolypoly.com/WC/IMG_0952.jpg By the way, I really love the way this water cooling setup looks.

My advice:

Give yourself plently of time, and do it it right the first time, don't cut corners in order to save an hour, you will regret in in the end.

Get some graphing paper and draw a few possible designs, keeping in mind the limitations of your case.

At some point you will probably be forced to mod your case a bit, but don't worry its only a case.

I would go for 1/2" tubing

Don't be cheap; buy high quality parts, they will only cost 40-50% more and they will perform 100% better.

Listen to the people on this form.

Listen to the people on this form. Not the people you buy the products from. If you do listen to the ones you buy from you'll end up with Black Death. Just my opinion.

How is a Danger Den TDX block for an AMD Athlon Mobile XP?

I have one and so far I have no complaints (With socket hold down). It is my first block though so I have no other WC parts to really compare it to, but it blows my air cooling away in both noise and performance.

The mounting isn't exactly the greatest in the world, but I have delt with much worse stuff at work so it didn't bother me at all :p

Back