• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A couple of Booster/Dimm/result Q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Don K

I've got a VTT modded IC7 Max3.
Before installing the OCZ Booster, my 2* 512 BH-5 would run 230 FSB Memtest86+ stable at 3,2 Vdimm. This was in DIMM's 2+4.

I found out, that the Booster wont fit in DIMM1, when theres ram in DIMM2. Consequently, I moved the memory to 1+3 and put the Booster in DIMM4.

Now my BH-5 suddenly wont even pass 215 FSB in Memtest86+ at (an otherwise whooping) 3,6 Vdimm?? :bang head

I've got plenty airflow in the case, as well as a dedicated DIMM fan, so high temperature is out of the question.

What gives?

Is DIMM4 wrong for the Booster?

Are DIMM's 1+3 that much worse for OC?

Is the Booster faulty?

Is my VTT mod screwy?

All suggestions are appreciated!

Test the ram in those slots without the booster and see if they clock the same as in the other slots. Also I'm assuming your raising VTT while you adjust the vdimm as well?

I've heard of many boards (abit AI7 being the worst) that overclock very poorly in 2 of the slots but fly in the others. Did you measure the Vdimm and vtt voltages off the motherboard itself while doing all this?

Steve

The VTT mod is of the Madcat1968 flavor, where no manual VTT tracking is needed.

I'll test without the Booster shortly (not home atm)

I haven't tested Vdimm/VTT manually, as i dont own a device to do so (I don't even know what its called in english, doh)

Putting the Booster in DIMM4 is my only option, right? ( Just making sure, i'm not missing anything obvious)

mrspec3 said:
Test the ram in those slots without the booster and see if they clock the same as in the other slots. Also I'm assuming your raising VTT while you adjust the vdimm as well?

I've heard of many boards (abit AI7 being the worst) that overclock very poorly in 2 of the slots but fly in the others. Did you measure the Vdimm and vtt voltages off the motherboard itself while doing all this?

Steve

yep, there are ALOT of variables.. the only way to find out is thru testing,testing testing..

Flapperhead

I know theres a lot of variables, but my results are so hugely different, it made me wonder if i was missing something completely...

Don K said:
Flapperhead

I know theres a lot of variables, but my results are so hugely different, it made me wonder if i was missing something completely...

yeah come to think of it it is kinda weird. nothing wrong with posting a thread my friend.. i do that all the time..

Back