• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Migrating from windows 2000 server to windows 2003 server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pilipk01

Hey Guys,

I have one server which is DC with DHCP, DNS and terminal services. My boss has just purchased windows 2003 server as well as new box for it and wants me to migrate to win2003.

What would be the easiest way to do it, so i dont have to re-confugure everything and and have evrything on my new windows 2003 box.

cheers

First, if you are a small shop (under 75 users) I hope your boss purchased Small Business Server 2003 and not just 2003 Server. With SBS you get Server 2003, Exchange 2003, Sharepoint Portal Server, and Outlook2003 all for 500$ USD.
I also reccommend that if you have only one server, purchasing a second cheap low cost server for nothing else than just an AD backup. You can get REALLY good deals from Dell for small servers with SBS2003 pre-installed.

Next,
You could do an upgrade.... I have done that and have had good luck.
but, you would have a more efficient system if you built a new server and migrated to the new system.
Here is a link to a well documented migration plan by Microsoft. I have done this about 50 Times! It works really well!

Good Luck!

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...1e-8218-4501-9729-222bd8ebb64c&displaylang=en

Back