• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replaced memory. Computer auto restarts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wallboy

Registered
I have a Seanix SiS-650 motherboard and it had 2 x 256MB DDR PC2100 Unbuffered Non-ECC RAM. The brand was Apacer. Never had any problems with that. I just replaced those with 2 x 512MB DDR PC2100 Unbuffered Non-ECC RAM. And the brand of RAM is Kreton.

When i'm now running programs that use lots of RAM my computer will automatically reboot. Sometimes it will reboot right after startup. I have noticed that my auto DRAM Timings stayed the same as I switched the RAM except for the CL which on the Apacer RAM was 2. On the new Kreton memory it's 2.5. So I tried putting all the DRAM Timings to there highest setting which was 3-4-4-6 and I still got automatic reboots. In prime95 I ran the torture test and I get a hardware failure after a minute. Nothing in my computer is overclocked.

What could the problem be? I was thinking I may have a motherboard incapatability with this new RAM or maybe my BIOS needs updating or something to detect the new RAM. Should I try taking 1 of the sticks of 512MB out and see what happens? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

The only thing I would suggest that you didn't already mention was remove and reseat the memory sticks. Some motherboards can be finicky about how the actual stick is stuck in :-/

DWolf:cool:

I've tried reseating and swapping places. Ok I took a stick out ran prime95 and i'm getting no errors after 5+ mins. I'll try the other stick and report back.

Well I tried the other stick now and ran prime95 with no problems. So it seems the memory is ok but my motherboard can't handle both of them at once. I'm also getting some errors not when trying to open some programs such as files are not found. Could I have corrupted some of windows and it's files when my computer kept rebooting?

So would be only solution now would be to get a different mobo? Thanks.

try memtest86 ....just download it to a floppy.. {{{or knoppix linux (if u got it) on startup press f2 and type memtest.. }}}

I gotta get my stupid floppy drive working. The LED light on it is always on and it doesn't read disks. Probably something to do with those little wires on the mobo. Put them in the wrong spot or something. So many little pins. When I run memtest86 should I have both sticks of RAM installed or try each seperate?

Alright. My comp just crashed again with the one 512MB. I'll run memtest86 tomorrow. Fiddled too many hours with the ram for one night.

No I never tried updating the BIOS. Just thought that it might work. I'm not sure how I go about doing that or if my BIOS is even flashable. I'll look into it. Any risks involved in flashing and updating the BIOS?

make sure your power plug is not gona be pulled.. when doing it

bigest damgage is that your bios chip my need to be replaced. (call your mobo maker if that happens) but usely it goes good

it could help because sometimes it changes how it deals with things.. maybe this is just an error that needs a update too

Ok thank you. I'll look into flashing it tomorrow. I think it could be just an update that may fix it. Cause what are the chances that my old memory has the same timings as my new memory except for the CL which is on auto detect itself within the auto DRAM timings detection. But we shall see tomorrow...

i think that the auto thing is just "safe" settings.. i got xms corsair ram and its cas 2

but it puts it to cas 3 ..but my mobo will only let me have the timmings below..

I think it might just be the max memory your MOBO can handle is 512. I have a dually intell board like that. It has three slots but can only handle 512 of RAM. Was the system a CS series from Seanix?

DWolf:cool:

I got the computer 2 years ago from FutureShop. It's a Cicero. But like you say if my computer can only handle 512MB then why did it crash last night with 1 of the 512's only in? I checked SiSoft Sandra and it said my board supports up to 2GB of memory.

Ok I ran memtest86 today on both 512MB modules and the one reports back 1800+ errors after 1 pass. And the other only 1 error after 1 pass. So whats this exactly mean? I got these modules off ebay and the guy said they had worked fine when he ran them. I got the cases also for the RAM and on the box it says lifetime warranty... so I probably could send the modules back in for new ones. Let me know what you guys think.

for that kind of ram ..the one is ok ..but having 1800+ errors is not good..

i got (look below) corsair ram and it has no errors so thats good.
if u got any other ram that works i would send in both sticks for replace meant

Alright. I'll send them both in for replacement. Thanks for all your help.

Ok weird... It's been about 2 days since I put my old memory back in and my computer just auto shut down again with my old RAM in... Whats going on?

Ok I turned of auto restart on error and did the same thing that made it crash and that was looking for a particular key in the registry... I got the following error on the blue screen: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. I looked that up and found the following http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_ccgm.asp

Says it could be somethign with the memory. Now I dunno what happened to my old memory now... Maybe i just need to reseat the memory again. Can memory be that stupid about how it's installed on the mobo? Anyways.. I'll try and reseat. Who knows. Maybe there isn't anything wrong with my other RAM and installing memory on this motherboard is just being gay...

Last edited:
AHH RUN ITS ... ok ok ..i am done having my head split open.. i get the same thing.. blue screen saything tat..

i am gona run memtest on each stick of ram (i have not done yet) and if i get ANY errors i am calling them back.

if its the mobo i will be ...on fire

Your getting the same error now to? Weird... I installed SP2 yesterday... But I rolled back to an earlier restore point before that was installed. Maybe it's something to do with that.

Back