• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st attempt to overclock !!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Babe963

Hi everyone :)

I have been lurking around these fourms for a while and this is my first post :)
I have just finished building my new PC which I am planing to overclock 3 days ago..

I have a P4c800 Dlx board, I started by flashing my bios to v 1016 (since everyong have been recommending it)

After I checked and found my PC to be running normally ... I went to the Bios and tried to play around... Couldn't find my way around changing the FSB speed?

The only way I found to overclock is to choose from ASUS O'Cing options of 5%, 10% ,,,,etc...

I took it up to 20% so far ... it ran at 3.6GHz :D

After a few hours it started freezing so i stopped the O'Cing!!!

Any Idea how I could control the FSB speed Manually ? In the Advanced Chipset Configurationg when I choose Manual ...
I see alot of options.. Including changing the V core, DDR speed!!! but no FSB ?

I have 2 fans in my case + the stock fan & heatsink that came with my processor...

Will apprecaite your help ...

Thanx

Babe963 said:
Hi everyone :)

I have been lurking around these fourms for a while and this is my first post :)
I have just finished building my new PC which I am planing to overclock 3 days ago..

I have a P4c800 Dlx board, I started by flashing my bios to v 1016 (since everyong have been recommending it)

After I checked and found my PC to be running normally ... I went to the Bios and tried to play around... Couldn't find my way around changing the FSB speed?

The only way I found to overclock is to choose from ASUS O'Cing options of 5%, 10% ,,,,etc...

I took it up to 20% so far ... it ran at 3.6GHz :D

After a few hours it started freezing so i stopped the O'Cing!!!

Any Idea how I could control the FSB speed Manually ? In the Advanced Chipset Configurationg when I choose Manual ...
I see alot of options.. Including changing the V core, DDR speed!!! but no FSB ?

I have 2 fans in my case + the stock fan & heatsink that came with my processor...

Will apprecaite your help ...

Thanx

if u r running in a 1:1 configuration then i believe changing the ddr speed is the equivilent of changing the fsb. up the ddr speed and see if it improves your clockspeed. u got 3.6 on air somewhat stable? impressive! i believe u r still at default vcore, up the vcore a tad for more stability..... whats the default vcore?

You were almost there. Under the advanced tab, go to AI Overclock Tuner like you did, you'll see a new sub-menu drop down which will allow you change the FSB (CPU External Frequency). Just use the + key to add speed. The default will be 200 (Intel P4 CPU's are quad pumped so 200x4=800MHz FSB).

Let us know how you do!

FSBuster said:
You were almost there. Under the advanced tab, go to AI Overclock Tuner like you did, you'll see a new sub-menu drop down which will allow you change the FSB (CPU External Frequency). Just use the + key to add speed. The default will be 200 (Intel P4 CPU's are quad pumped so 200x4=800MHz FSB).

Let us know how you do!

damnit! :bang head

your response was better than mine :cry:

edit: btw... nice rig ;)

He he he he ...
<==== bumps her head...

I saw that option of CPU External Frequency and I clicked on all the numbers on my keyboard hoping it will change ... So +/- ,,,,, Thanx guys ...
I will try it and come back :)

My V Core = 1.55 will bump that up a little ;)

:D

owww a lady ;) glad to see some more female overclockers!

what kinda cooling setup do you have? 1.55v+ is kinda getting it up there, just remember to watch your temps! but 3.6ghz on 1.55v kinda stable is pretty good, with decent cooling i bet you could break 4Ghz. good luck.

and also you only have PC3200 RAM...so you may want to up your Vdimm to get your RAM to run higher then 200mhz stable....

oh yeah WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

Last edited:
Drec said:
owww a lady ;) glad to see some more female overclockers!

what kinda cooling setup do you have? 1.55v+ is kinda getting it up there, just remember to watch your temps! but 3.6ghz on 1.55v kinda stable is pretty good, with decent cooling i bet you could break 4Ghz. good luck.

and also you only have PC3200 RAM...so you may want to up your Vdimm to get your RAM to run higher then 200mhz stable....

she COULD break 4 ghz if she had WC but she said she was using the stock fan and heatsink in the original post....

beau_zo_brehm said:
she COULD break 4 ghz if she had WC but she said she was using the stock fan and heatsink in the original post....

Oh, i read to fast

Ok then..1.55v is kinda pushing it with stock hsf...waht are your temps?

and beau_zo_brehm its possible to hit 4ghz with a good air cooling setup.

Gee Drec ... You mean there aren't alot of gals here !!!
** Jumps Happy & Runs to look at herself in the mirror** :)

Well .. I just started things from the begining and did it manually ...
I am runing at 3.3GHz My FSB is at 222MHz my v Core at 1.56

Will bump it more ... and see...

I know my memory is holding me down alot but it was hard to get DDR500 here and newegg and the other online shops don't ship outside the US :(

My DDR400 runs at 2.5,4,4,8 ..

My temp at idle was about 40C and now while I am working it went up to 50C ...
I guess I will need better cooling... Do you guys think getting some thermal paste will help?
I used Intels Heatsink and fan.. The heatsink just came with that black pad, no thermal paste like before...

Will apprecaite the feedback :)

Some AS5 might help. The black pad is interesting, my 3.0c came with some gray compound on the HS, and a somewhat different looking HS. Also, try running your memory at 5:4 to make sure it is not holding you back.

Attachments

• heatsink2.JPG
    heatsink2.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
br408408 said:
Some AS5 might help. The black pad is interesting, my 3.0c came with some gray compound on the HS, and a somewhat different looking HS. Also, try running your memory at 5:4 to make sure it is not holding you back.

i would keep your memory at 1:1 since your really not going to be able to get to much higher with your cpu, bump the vdimm up, what brand of memory is it?

you temps are pretty much as high as you want to get them...i wouldent go over 1.55v with that heatsink. from what i've read those black pads arnt that bad., but if you could get your hands on some artic silver you would see a small temp drop..(2-5C)

it sounds like you pretty much know what your doing.,

to bad you couldent get any faster RAM...where do you live?

I just ment try it at 5:4 to make sure it's not memory that's holding her back as it might not run at 240mhz. My 3.0 is at 3525 at 1.5 vcore. Only temps are holding me back. My water cooling parts have been ordered and are on the way, so I will soon see what it got in it. :)

Babe963,
Under ADVANCED tab in BIOS, go to JUMPER FREE CONFIGURATION & set AI OVERCLOCK TUNER to MANUAL. This will allow you to set FSB anywhere you want by using + or - keys to change the value. Next you can set DRAM FREQUENCY to where you want it: 400= 1:1; 320= 5:4; 266=3:2 & AUTO=automatic. AGP/PCI FREQUENCY should be left at 66.66/33.33.

Under CHIPSET you can set the DDR timings. left at SPD the mobo sets timings according to RAM manufacturer's settings- very likely 3-4-4-8.
These are relaxed timings & should allow a bit higher FSB. I'd suggest just leaving it at SPD for now.
Start out slowly increasing FSB a few MHz at a time. 3.6GHz = FSB 240.
I see you've had it running that fast, but with problems. To run that fast you very likely will have to dial the DRAM FREQ back to 320.
I would also suggest using the AsusProbe utility to monitor your temps & voltages. You want to keep your CPU temp under 50°C under load.
1.55V is a bit high for stock cooling. You might want to consider getting a better Heatsink & fan for your CPU, & also possibly some faster RAM & maybe a better video card. For right now see what you can do with your present set up.
Like the racers say: "Speed costs money! How fast do you want to go?"
Good Luck & let us know how everything works!
-Dave

i have the same setup almost with more case fans and plans to make it run at even lower temsp yes i would highly reccoment artic silver 5 but with my stock fan and heat sink i've been running six hours now and currnet temp is ony 31c i had a 3.9 oc fail on my but hopefully a new bios update will fix that

Babe963 said:
I know my memory is holding me down alot but it was hard to get DDR500 here and newegg and the other online shops don't ship outside the US :(

My DDR400 runs at 2.5,4,4,8 ..

If your memory is holding you back, then writing things down in a notepad could help. Ohh, wait, you mean your computer's memory? ;-)

In which case, some active cooling might be helpful. I found active cooling (putting a whapping great 80mm case fan right on top of the RAM) helped me to get a significantly better overclock out of my memory. Connected to earth, touch the heat-spreaders on the RAM when the computer's running - if they're hot to touch, then a fan should help you (secure it with tie-tags).

My temp at idle was about 40C and now while I am working it went up to 50C

Try to see how hot that it gets under Prime95's stress test (which is good for stability testing, too).

I guess I will need better cooling... Do you guys think getting some thermal paste will help?

Yes :)

I used Intels Heatsink and fan.. The heatsink just came with that black pad, no thermal paste like before...

Getting a new HSF might help, too, if you can afford it. Look on http://www.dansdata.com for reviews of HSFs. Copper is generally better...

Back