• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling and 120mm Fan.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frosty18

I recently built a homemade watercooling kit. So far things are going pretty good, no leaks, temp is MUCH lower. I originally had a freak CPU which would frequently hit 85+ degrees C. Now under full load it hits 60 degrees C. Go water. Anyways, I'm using a heater core from a ford that is around 8" X 7" X 2" and is outside of my case. I also purchased a 90CFM 120mm fan for it from fry's. The strange part is that having the fan on or off the heater core makes NO difference! The water temp will never get below 45 degrees C and the all time highest I've seen it was 61 degrees C. Anyone have a clue why the fan doesn't do jack?

I've been dissappointed in this processor so far. :( P4 2.4 @ 2956 Prime stable 1.525v. Not stable at 3.0 regardless of voltage. (tried 1.675v out of curiosity)

What cpu block, pump, and other parts are in the loop. Also you might want to think about using a bigger rad or using 2x 120mm fans on either side of the rad with shrouds.

CPU: P4 2.4 Northwood
Block: Koolance (*shrug* just something I bought at fry's, not the best I'm sure*)
Pump: 190gph Aquarium pump
Roughly 1 gallon of distilled water in the entire system (counting reservoir)

Don't have a GPU block, so the CPU is the only thing in the loop.

Last edited:
try two fans like mentioned above or one of those uber fat 240 CFM fans for sale in the classifieds. Also can you see thru the fins on the heatercore? Was this a new heatercore or a used one out of a vehicle? can you feel air passing thru the heatercore?

How are you measuring your temps? It is possible that the heater core and fan are making a difference, but the mobo temp readings can tell you otherwise. The fan on my heater core does make a difference in temps, so it probably makes a difference on yours as well. As for the fan not doing anything, maybe you have your comp near a window, which would allow a breeze to cool your comp. I don't know, look into it further. If a fan makes no difference, why not just leave it off?

You definatly need to make a shroud for it. Check to make sure that the fins are not clogged as just mentioned. You may also want to think of getting a more powerful pump and a different block. The new block will lower your temps by a few degrees and a pump could lower it a few more. Also did you aply artic silver to the cpu? I am not sure if you are not getting a good connection between your block and the cpu. Is the water 65 degrees or is the cpu. If it is the water, then you are having troubles with you Heatercore not being able to take the heat out. What is your ambient temps? Try a bigger HC or add anouther fan. That is very wierd that the temps are that high.

Back