• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

motherboard not acpi compliant?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
when i try to start or reinstall windows, i get an error stating this:

*** STOP: 0x000000a5 (0x00000011, 0x00000006, 0x00000000)
the ACPI BIOS in this system is not fully compliant with the ACPI specification. Please read the README.TXT for possible workarounds. You can also contact your system's manufacturer for an updated BIOS, or visit http://www.hardware-update.com to see if a new BIOS is available.

and no matter what i do, i can't get around this. any ideas?

my motherboard is an iwill dpi533 and this happens with win2k and winxp installs and trying to run windows.

*edit: the reason that i am posting this in the microsoft os section is because this seems to be a microsoft operating system problem*

Last edited:
The Role of the F5 Key and Shutdown Problems

When I first put this page together I meant to include this information. Unfortunately it totally slipped my mind. One of the hazards of being an Elder(ly) Geek, but better late than never. Thanks to reader Glen M. for jogging my memory.

When XP is first installed it tries to determine what type of BIOS is available on the computer. Newer systems have what is known as Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) capability. Unfortunately, XP doesn't always recognize a computer BIOS is ACPI capable and doesn't install the support for ACPI. Even more unfortunate is the fact that if ACPI support isn't determined at the initial install it's virtually impossible to correct this at a later time short of reinstalling XP over the top of the previous XP installation. To do so requires changing the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL). The chances of successfully changing a HAL after XP has been installed is pretty close to zilch.

Once you drop the CD in the tray and fire up the computer to install XP, the first thing you'll see at the bottom of the screen is the option to press F6 if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller. Don't press F6. Press F5 instead. This will take you to a separate menu of Hardware Abstraction Layer's where you can choose an appropriate HAL that supports ACPI. The choices will be:

ACPI Multiprocessor PC

ACPI Uniprocessor PC

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC

Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC

MPS Uniprocessor PC

MPS Multiprocessor PC

Standard PC

Standard PC with C-Step i486

Other

In the majority of installations the 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC' HAL is the one you will want to use. A few cautions are also in order:

Obtain and install the latest BIOS for your motherboard before you begin the XP installation.

Equally as important as using the proper HAL on ACPI capable systems, is NOT using it on systems that are not ACPI compatible. The install may complete but the system will almost surely fail to start when it reboots.

There are situations where it is definitely not desirable to use an ACPI HAL even if it is supported by the BIOS. This predominately applies to servers, but to ensure that an ACPI HAL will not be used or automatically detected and used, press F7 instead of F5 as discussed previously.

Considering the number of problems that users have with systems not shutting down completely I wonder why this feature is not prominently mentioned and documented. It could save many headaches, but now you know. A good piece of knowledge to have tucked away for your next XP install.

As a final note, to determine if your computer was detected as being ACPI enabled:

Right click My Computer then click Properties > Hardware > Device Manager.
Expand the entry called Computer.

If the entry is 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC' you're all set. If it says 'Standard PC' the computer BIOS was not detected as being ACPI capable.
http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_installation_of_windows_xp.htm

Probably a glitch in the BIOS, but unless there is already a new one available, you should be able to work around it.

hmm... well i got around it in the most tricky way... i installed windows xp using the f7 key during the "special drivers, hit f6" part which makes it use the standard pc hal. then i did a reinstall without using the f7 and it worked fine. now both processors, including the virtual ones, are recognized by winxp and all seems to be working ok atm. thanks for the help. hopefully this will help somebody in the future as most places with questions about this have unresolved answers...

I'm glad I could help. Usually when there is an ACPI problem it is with older hardware. It is very odd that such a new product should have this problem.

It was probably the first thing you did, but have you checked to see if ACPI was enabled in the CMOS settings?

If this is a common problem with this board, I'm sure they will have a new BIOS written to take care of the problem in no time.

repo man11 said:
I'm glad I could help. Usually when there is an ACPI problem it is with older hardware. It is very odd that such a new product should have this problem.

It was probably the first thing you did, but have you checked to see if ACPI was enabled in the CMOS settings?

If this is a common problem with this board, I'm sure they will have a new BIOS written to take care of the problem in no time.

that's the funny thing... the system was working fine for days and i hadn't changed any of the acpi settings and then one day i came home from work and there was nothing but a bsod welcoming me... :)

Back