• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

half second stalls in games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mirage_03

with stock 2400+ speed, and stock ram speed, 200mhz FSB, i'm having problems playing in games. namely counter-strike, when i'm loading models for the first time, or new parts of the map, it stalls on me for a half a second or so. its REALLY annoying me. it also stalls for half a sec at just random times here and there. it did the random stalling with my old ram, but just started the other stuff with my new ram. any idea?? thanks!

btw, my old ram was 2 sticks, a 512 and a 128 sticks of pc2100 ram. my new ram is 1 stick of 512mb pc3200 corsair value select. i have an NF7 motherboard and an AMD 2400+. my load temps are ~48

Are there any other processes running? If your problems are when loading levels etc then the hard disk may be to blame.

Try memtest86 from www.memtest86.com to check the RAM.

like i said, it didn't do it with the old ram... come to think of it, it didn't even do the random stalling up until about a month ago...just started doing it out of the blue. unless the HD just started having probs, its not that HD... i'll test the ram with memtest tho

tried the memtest thing and i dunno how to do it. downloaded 3.1 and i couldn't figure out how to install it or anything. after punching a pillow in frustration i finally came to post this. anyone have any ideas? any help greatly appreciated... thanks.

There is a little program that lets you make a boot floppy. Memtest86 runs from this floppy.

I had the same exact problem as you. It is most probably spyware running in the background. Go into you Windows Task Manager by pressing ctrl+alt+delte. Then go to the performance tab. If the cpu usage goes up and down systematically without any programs in the background, you've got a pretty nasty spyware program on there.

If it doesnt go up and down, then it's either an issue with your harddrive or you ram. Most likely your harddrive.

ap673 said:
I had the same exact problem as you. It is most probably spyware running in the background. Go into you Windows Task Manager by pressing ctrl+alt+delte. Then go to the performance tab. If the cpu usage goes up and down systematically without any programs in the background, you've got a pretty nasty spyware program on there.

If it doesnt go up and down, then it's either an issue with your harddrive or you ram. Most likely your harddrive.

Thats a good point, perhaps try adaware from www.lavasoft.de to check for spyware.

ok i ran spybot and fixed 69 problems. we'll see if that fixes the random stalls.

it turnes out i did "install" memtest and i just didnt' know it. i was rebooting and it came up and started its thing. in the first pass, it got 74 errors. all on test 5, and at the bottom thing i saw it was 500-511 mb's. i am pretty sure this will account for the problems. either way, i need to RMA it, correct? thanks!

also, i bought it from newegg. should i RMA it with newegg or with corsair? i jsut want a replacement... thanks!

Mirage_03 said:
ok i ran spybot and fixed 69 problems. we'll see if that fixes the random stalls.

it turnes out i did "install" memtest and i just didnt' know it. i was rebooting and it came up and started its thing. in the first pass, it got 74 errors. all on test 5, and at the bottom thing i saw it was 500-511 mb's. i am pretty sure this will account for the problems. either way, i need to RMA it, correct? thanks!

also, i bought it from newegg. should i RMA it with newegg or with corsair? i jsut want a replacement... thanks!

Yikes.. looks like bad RAM then.

I would contact newegg first and see what they say. I'm not sure of the laws over there as to returning faulty goods.

I wouldn't go through Newegg. If you do they may just resell the ram as refurb if they don't test it which sucks for the next guy. Best thing to do is go through corsairs and let them figure it out for you.

newegg won't sell it refurb unless they refurb it (fix it) which i don't think they can, so they'll either throw it out or trade it out with corsair. if u buy refurb instead of regular for like 10 bucks less, ur not that smart anyway :)

Back