• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speakers cut out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cypher720

Ok...this is kinda a long setup, so read if you know about audio...and if not - thanks anyway.

I have my stereo hooked up to my PC's speaker out on a SoundBlaster Live card. I have had no problems tuil about a month ago...jsut doing nothing. If im listening to music ONLY (through winamp, itunes, cakewalk...whatever), the speakers will cut out after a while. Then the only way to get sound back is to reset the stereo, or plug headphones in and then out again. After it cuts out, neither the radio or the cd player will have sound output until i reset the stereo. And after i reset it, this will happen every fgew minutes, whether playing CD, radio, or AUX.

The interesting thing is....i dont have a problem if i play radio or CD first. i can play them all night without it cutting out, but once i play through thte computer, its off to the races.

Does anyone have ANY ideas? Thanks a lot

Best guess (from me anyway :p ) would be that the signal from the computer is adding just enough extra power into the stereo that it hits the overheat/reset point. Once it gets to that point even if you reset it it will still hit it again soon. Playing radio/CD=no extra power into the system.

Sound cards are like a mini amp anyway, aren't they??

DWolf:cool:

what can/should i do? and its weird that this just started. honestly - i didnt know they were like a mini amp - ytou learn something new every day!

I could be wrong about the mini-amp part. But I know they're adding to the signal strangth of the stereo just like any external componant. I just wonder whether it's more than say an aux. cd player?? Do you have a portable CD player? If you do run a cable from the headphone jack to your stereo like the one you have now from your soundcard. Play a CD on the player through your stereo and see if it still happens.

DWolf:cool:

Back