• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Koolance PC2-601BLW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seeko

Registered
I've been looking into getting a water cooling system, as I've been told that if I'm going to OC, it would be best to get a good water cooling system. I've heard a couple good things about Koolance so I decided to check them out. I found this case and thought it looked pretty nice. Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about water cooling so I have no idea if I am getting my money's worth out of that case. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what good/cheap water cooling systems are and what kind of prices I will be looking at? I really like that Koolance but I'm kind of low on money and I want to be sure it's well worth I'm paying for it. And comments and help will be appreciated. Thanks..

-SeeKo

Whoever told you that you need watercooling in order to overclock was *ahem* full of it.
You can easily achieve a medium OC on air and the expense/hassle factor is far less.
I would estimate that in order to beat a good air cooled solution with water you would need to spend around $200.
The Koolance would be fine for a quiet, easy to install water rig, but the cooling results would not beat an aggressive air solution or a D.I.Y. water loop.

Water cooling used to be the Holy Grail for those seeking good OCing results, but IMO, new heatsink designs have improved to the point where water is more of a hobby than a necessity.

I know water is not necessary for me to OC, but I've heard it's alot better than using air cooling.

read the stickies in the watercooling forum some good info there,and dont jump into it. Do some research on components and ask questions.

Seeko said:
I know water is not necessary for me to OC, but I've heard it's alot better than using air cooling.
I would disagree, but it's easy to make that decision for yourself.
Just peruse both sections ( "Watercooling" & "Cooling"), they are both chockfull of the results that different folks are getting using either cooling method.
I think you'll find that, excluding a few extreme examples from either camp, the results are remarkably similar.

Water Cooling and Air Cooling both have advantages and disadvantages.
Both can keep a system relatively cool at equally high overclocks.
Both can make just about the same amount of noise.

Water cooling, however, can keep your heavily overclocked system fairly cool with a relatively low noise level.
Advantage- H2O. ;)

But that Koolance system is not one of the best around- its decent, but I think you could probably build an aircooled setup that would do as well for less money.

I would suggest hitting the cooling and water cooling areas of the forums here as well: take a look at the results people are getting and see what your other options are.

one month ago, I asked the same question regarding the same case. If it is for overclocking, then you can still achieve good OC with air alone as long as you have the proper equipments (ie. motherboard, cpu, memory, and decent hsf). For some people, going to water cool may drop their normal loading temp by 10 degrees celcius which may be enough to push the cpu a little further. WC is an expensive solution and for a DIY setup may cost you in range $150 and up (depending what equipments you want.) At same system perfomance, wc may be quieter since air cool would require fairly high performance fan (ie higher cfm and therefore usually louder). Additionally, wc will require a little more maintenance than air.

I have an SP-94 with vantec tornado and was able to push my 2.8e to 3.5ghz but with wife nagging on noise level and with me not wanting to compromise my great setup, I went with a DIY water system after spending weeks on overclockers forum reading stickies and what people have to say about what is good and what is bad. Over all, I spent about $150-160 on my watercool setup and most of them were modded by myself thus I keep the price to the minimal and be proud of my achievements at the same time.

I hope that helps you to make a right decision.

Last edited:
Back