• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can someone help me on windows xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ndnsoulja

Registered
hey, when i start up my computer my computer seems to be slower at the "welcome" screen. at first i thought maybe i had too much stuff on my harddrive but i moved alot oof the stuff to another harddrive. but it still does that. is there a reason why it does that? it didnt' do that at the begining days ..when i first made my computer. if any help can be provided i'd would highly appriciate it. thank you

Try running spyware and virus scans. Having either will slow a PC down considerably if it's bad enough. This great guide can step you though all the software that you'll need to clean your system out spic and span :)

JigPu

also go to driverheaven.net and download there tunexp program, works wonders for your startup and shut down times.

probalem is even if you move programs - your registry is still on your main drive

have you been into your "startup" tab under msconfig and kill all start up processes - beside any firewalls and antivirus of course.

Here's what to do to increase startup time.

Remove unnecessary processes and programs that start automatically with Services and msconfig.

Definitely Defrag. The Windows defragger isn't very good. If you have 3rd party defraggers like Diskeeper use those.

Clean the registry with trusted 3rd party programs such as Norton Systemworks 2004.

Norton Systemworks 2004 also has a program that optimizes disk access time. Similar to defragging, but more indepth with the indexing service.

Uninstall unnecessary programs.

Scan for viruses/adware/spyware.

View the processes (ctrl+alt+del > Processes tab). If anything is taking up more processor usage than most other programs investigate as to reasons why. Don't kill it! It might be a vital part of windows. Check for bottlenecks in memory, processor, bus, etc...

every six months or so I just install a new copy of windows, easiest way to keep it working good. Any other way and your just playing with what may or may not be the problem.

Back