• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help getting bad temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toorude

Registered
I just remounted my cpu block redid the tubing and added antifreeze in with my distilled water, I have a BIX II rad (i made a shroud that sets 2 fans about an inch from the rad) polarflo TT cpu block swift nb and swift pump and im getting 39 degrees idle with no overclock yet on my intel 2.8. I need some help on figuring out where im gaining all this heat. I do live in texas but still in an airconditioned house I was hoping with watercooling id see temps around 30. Any suggestions, ive already remounted the cpu twice and it seems to be completely flush with the chip and screwed on tightly. the radiator doesnt feel that warm or anything, and i got rid of all the bubbles i dont see any collecting anywhere so im really stumped. any help is appriciated

If there are bubbles in your system they are probably in your radiator which could explain why it isn't warm (it won't get warm much when its running right cause the water temp isn't changing that much). Did you flop the radiator around before you mounted it in your case to get the bubbles out of all the channels?
What temp is you house at?
Are you using a Thermal interface material? if so Have you cleaned and re-applied it after every re-attechment of the Waterblock?
How much antifreeze did you add?
And for the final question, Do you have the pump plugged in?

Argh,

What is it with this trend of using anti-freeze? I've lost the page but anti-frreze ruins the viscosity of the water, making it harder to pump and harder to tranfer heat. Change your water dude, use plain old distilled with a nice additive to prevent corrosion.. NOT anti-freeze!

cheers,
josh

im using a small amount 5% i sloshed the radiator around till i couldnt hear anymore water movement, pump is running =P, i cleaned and put on new AS5, AC is set at 78 most of the time.

So ya im stupid and noticed that i have my pump in backwards... meaning im pushing water backwards through the intended direction of my tubing sequence.... so like... how much of a temp diff can that cause rofl (smacks self in the head)

toorude said:
So ya im stupid and noticed that i have my pump in backwards... meaning im pushing water backwards through the intended direction of my tubing sequence.... so like... how much of a temp diff can that cause rofl (smacks self in the head)

5C or more

it's not the order that matters

it's the direction of flow through the WB

The order can matter (if you have a super hot pump or a submerged super hot pump or a radiator that you are pumping water into instead of out of) but generally just the direction of flow though the water block matters, but then again only if you have a asymetric flow waterblock (see: White Water, TDX, RBX,etc.). I'm not sure of what the insides of the PolarFlo looks like but if it is like the Maze 4 then flow direction wouldn't matter

gulp35 said:
The order can matter (if you have a super hot pump or a submerged super hot pump or a radiator that you are pumping water into instead of out of) but generally just the direction of flow though the water block matters, but then again only if you have a asymetric flow waterblock (see: White Water, TDX, RBX,etc.). I'm not sure of what the insides of the PolarFlo looks like but if it is like the Maze 4 then flow direction wouldn't matter

even a pump dissipating 100w of heat into the water would only make a .2C difference in water temp from inlet to outlet

physics, my friend

well the main thing is that from the pump the water is going around through the fill an bleed into my northbridge first then into my cpu which is 3 barbed so the flo is all screwed up there cause only one outlet in the direction i have it right now then its finally going to the rad.

well im confused now i just refilled the system fixed the pump and remounted the cpu for the hell of it... and my temps arent any better. its pretty hot in my room though and im starting to lean towards that being the cause. but i just noticed something else, my aux temps have really sky rocketed during doom3 play. i was at 50 when i exited doom3 and cpu was at 44 running my 2.8c at 3.36. i dont have any pics taken yet ill try and get some up would prolly help people spot an issue. but the major ones are taken care of such as kinks and air pockets.

If its a three barbed block, and your getting the same temp with both proper and improper flow through it, I would think the pump doesnt have enough head for that setup.

So what pump are you using?

What MB do you have? They all read different, my Max3 reads about 12~13°c higher than my P4C800 and about 6° higher than my MSI 875p. Those temps on my P4c would be a lot high for water but would be good on my Max3.
As bad as MBs read temps (even from different board of the exact same model) you cannot compare temps from other peoples setups directly. On my setup my Max3 has an idle temp of about 43°c and load temp of about 46°c with room temp of 72°f

My cpu is a 2.4c @ 3500 1.6v

Last edited:
i have an abit ic7 max 2 im using motherboard monitor to get my temps, im pretty sure my temps are the reason my overclock isnt being very successful, although i may be missing that sweet spot of clock speed and vcore settings, i have Geil Ultra Plat PC4000 so i havnt overclocked my vdimm at all whnever trying for a high o/c assuming that the minor o/c my ram gets shouldnt require more voltage but i may be wrong

my 2 cents

from what i here about those polarflo blocks have a mirror like finish u would need much TIM

i would try without nb block it puts heat out and those tight turns the tubing has to perfore cant be good

also ambient temps make a diference i have no ac and i see a 5-8 degree diferense between night temp in day temps

good luck

I just shortened some tubing where it was in excess and then I added more tubing between the NB and CPU to lessen the sharp bend, I completely cleaned the blocks and chips of AS5 and then reapplyed, after that I remounted the cpu block a little looser then before to see if i was overtightening. after all of this I booted up and my temps are now a good 4 degrees lower. so not sure which of these steps helped the most but im very happy to say the least. right now im running my 2.8c at 3.5 at stock voltage full loads arent going above 44c on an abit ic7 max2, gonna run prime 95 for a couple hours and then try hitting something higher, since its a 30 capped 2.8 im hoping I get lucky and dont top out untill around 3.7

-- oh ya I forgot to mention that my problem with overclocking was mainly do to the fact that I was upping voltage because of instability when in reality my voltage was already too high, I got a pretty good chip luckily and stock voltage is the most stable so far at 250, moral of the story keep voltage at stock settings UNTILL u see instability, dont raise it just cause u think u need to in order to hit higher clocks like i did =\

Last edited:
Back