• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

worth it to buy 2700 ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TKJ

Registered
I have the opportunity to purchase some Corsair XMS plats DDR2700 for cheap, but not sure if it's worth buying 2700's at this time. I have a 2700+ tbred at 333fsb and the mult is locked. Now the way I understand it is that I want to keep the ram and the cpu in sync. I see people all the time w/ AMD's that are rated at 333 fsb using 3200's all the time. Per the sticky at the beginning of this particular forum this would not be recommened as this would make it out of sync. Is it because they just oc their fsb to 400 to match their ram speed? I've noticed that in my bios using Award w/ a Shuttle A35N-ultra mobo that I can have my fsb speed different from my ram speed (which I thought was odd). So my question is if I want to oc my 2700xp+ to 400, am I better off buying 3200 speed ram or is it possible to oc the corsairs to 400? Ram has got to be the most confusing thing and I've read that great article in the sticky at least 5 times! Thanks for any insight you guys can give me!

Yes keeping the FSB with the ram is what you want. When people buy 3200 & run it with a 333 CPU they over clock & try to get the 400.

I am not shure about this mem you are talking about, some 2700 will go up to 400 no problem. If it will do this then you save money over buying the 400.

There will be somebody who will know what that ram will do, just give it some time & youll find out its ability.

hey kahnza, how did you set this up in your bios? Did you have to go into the memory part and select "manual" to put your ram speed at 400 AS WELL as increasing your fsb to 400? Or by simply increasing your fsb to 400 means that the ram will automatically run at 400?

TKJ said:
hey kahnza, how did you set this up in your bios? Did you have to go into the memory part and select "manual" to put your ram speed at 400 AS WELL as increasing your fsb to 400? Or by simply increasing your fsb to 400 means that the ram will automatically run at 400?
The latter. Set my fsb to 400, and the ram is running at the same.

Interesting. I currently have ddr2100 ram and I have the fsb at 333, but at the post it shows my ram running at 266...but you say that by simply increasing the fst it automatically increases the ram as well?

It depends on the motherboard. On mine it gives me a option of what fsb to ram ratio I want to run. On my old one I had to select manual then raise the speed up to what I wanted it.

Uh on my board my cpu is at 219fsb and ram at 180fsb. I am running the kingston ddr333 ram and i havent gotten it past 180 before so im not sure what im doing wrong or anything and how the other guy got his to 400. If we are using the same ram which is the value ram not hyperx or anything, then tell me your timings and stuff.

Hey jacobman, wouldn't you get better performance if you were to set the fsb of ur cpu to match that of your ram of 180?

Jacobman said:
Uh on my board my cpu is at 219fsb and ram at 180fsb. I am running the kingston ddr333 ram and i havent gotten it past 180 before so im not sure what im doing wrong or anything and how the other guy got his to 400. If we are using the same ram which is the value ram not hyperx or anything, then tell me your timings and stuff.
I don't know what they are offhand, but its whatever is stock.

Back