• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why choose Windows 2003 over Windows XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Isn't Windows 2003 a server OS?

Are there any benefits whatsoever to choosing Windows 2003 over Windows XP for home use?

Well, Server 2k3 is terribly expensive to start. It's a Server OS, so it's built on stability, not functionality. It's not fully supported yet, so you're going to have driver problems, and possibly hardware problems (make sure to check the HCL for it before installing it. It pro'lly won't work too well on legacy hardware).

If I had to choose between the two for a workstation, I think I'd rather poke myself in the eye w/ a pointy stick.

There's no real benefit to warrant installing Win2k3 Server on a home PC unless you're an enthusiast who likes doing things the hard way.

I played with the eval copy I got and after I converted it into a workstation OS, s2k3ee was very similar to XP except for occasional compatibility probems with some apps refusing to intall. I got them installed anyway but I had to use some tricks to do it. I'm back to using XPpro. It was fun while it lasted but I eventually got tired of futzing with it.

Back