• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying HyperX but PC3200 or PC3500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ninjaism

Registered
I've been looking at buying a matched pair of 256's for my GA-8KNXP with the idea of adding in another matched pair when I can afford it. My question is, which is more suitable as there is stuff all difference in the price between the following two? :

PC3200
KHX3200AK2/512 512MB 400MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2 DIMM (Kit of 2 - 256MB)
(Timing for this part: 2-3-2-6-1)

PC3500
KHX3500AK2/512 512MB 434MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2.5 DIMM (Kit of 2 - 256MB)
(Timing for this part: 2.5-3-3-7-1)

My cpu is a P4 800FSB 3.0c
Just need the ram to get it up and running. I haven't ventured into the world of overclocking before but I'm sure that, with some help from here, I will. :D
Anyway, I bought a Thermaltake PIPE101 cooler 'just in case' I do. ;)
I would like to go 1GB right away but I have to upgrade my ageing Geforce 4TI so I'm afraid 512 is the only option now.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
The PC3200 can run 1:1 with your processor at CAS 2. That's nice, if your not overclocking... And even if you do overclock I'm pretty sure that you can overclock those chips quite a bit, especially if you put down the latency.

I would just get the cheaper one, unless if they're only a few dollars apart. And since your processor is only at 200FSB, you could probably run that PC-3500 1:1 with a CAS 2.

Welcome to the forums. :)

The PC3500 is about $12 Aus dollars more per pair (approx $8.50 US) so the difference is next to nothing.....and thanks for the welcome. I've been a lurker for a long time but most of the info goes straight over my head. ;)

The PC3200 and PC3500 you are looking at, are basically the same thing. Both are using Winbond CH-5 chips - the PC3500 is just using more relaxed timings. If it's between those two, I'd get the PC3200.

Agreed. I'd get the PC3200 just in case there is better IC's under the heatspreaders. I'm running their 2048MB-kit of PC3200 HyperX, however; it won't hold the tighter CL2, it's 2.5-3-3-6, and no matter what I try (even underlcoking) can't get it to hold tighter. HOWEVER, this memory easily does 250FSB, and for modules this size that's really impressive you go Kingston...

:)

Attachments

• KX250FSBsmallpic.JPG
    KX250FSBsmallpic.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Anyway you could make due with a single 512mb stick for now? That way in the future you can add another stick to it, and have a 1GB-kit. Dam, if you in the USA I could probably help you out with a donation.

How much are you paying, and where?

Its going to cost me $247.50 AUS (176.71 US) and I'm buying it from a local store.

The reson I say I cant afford more right now is that I really need to replace my old Geforce 4 TI4200 so it might be a while before I can get the other 512, so I'd probably go 2X256 now so at least it's in dual channel.
I've been tempted to order from the US but that all depends on shipping costs and also wether there is much to be saved. If its only a few dollars, I would by locally as its easier to exchange if thee is a problem.

Back