• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

monitor is wavy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

covana2244

Ever since I started watercooling my pump makes the right side of my screen wavy unless my refresh rate is at 60 or 100. The problem is my monitor won't display 100+ at 12*10 res so I am stuck with 60. How can I get rid of the waviness.
THanks
-Kyle

Either move your pump away (doh !)
or put some EMI shielding, start simply by putting a grounded aluminium sheet, either around the pump, or at least between the pump and your monitor.

Yep, what surefoot says basically. You might be able to eliminate some of it by de-gaussing your monitor (there should be a "demagnetise" symbol on the monitor's osd menu somewhere) but like surefoot says, move the pump or shield it. Be carefull though, as putting a sheet of aluminium around the pump is like shorting out a transformer winding. You might find the pump gets hotter becasue of it. You can try changing the angle of the pump / monitor as well. The sensitive bits of the monitor are the electron beam guns at the back, also the shadow mask / aperture grille just behind the phosphor coating on the back of the screen. (which is the bit that can get magnetised, warping / discolouring the picture.)

SureFoot said:
Either move your pump away (doh !)
or put some EMI shielding, start simply by putting a grounded aluminium sheet, either around the pump, or at least between the pump and your monitor.

Dont you mean between the pump and the vid card? If the pump is inside the case I dont think it would cause direct interference with the gun unless the case was like resting ontop of the monitor's casing.

if I am ASSuming correctly that your pump is in your case try taking it out as far as your tubing will let you and maybe ghetto rig the side of your case so it is between the pump and everything else. See if that fixes anything.
Ive seen people put their pumps inside the casing of an old PSU to solve the same problem.

SureFoot said:
i thought he put his case on the right side of his screen ..???

covana2244 said:
Ever since I started watercooling my pump makes the right side of my screen wavy...

Maybe he did, but he didnt say. If the pump isnt in the case and right by the monitor I guess that could be it. Would be a little weird, Id try putting it in the case and see what that did. I was just assuming it wasnt and that the pump was already in the case.

I think the pump's magentic field is interfering with the monitor's magnetic field. I have my Via 1300 pump inside my case and I need to have the case at least 1.5 feet from my Viewsonic P95F monitor. Any closer and I get visible EMI on my monitor even at 100+ refresh rates.

The pump is always the same distance from the video card and the EMI disappears as I increase the distance from monitor to pump, so I am fairly certain the video card isn't affected by the pumps magnetic field.

Not exactly scientific, but that's what I have found by playing around with my system.

SOShootME said:
I think the pump's magentic field is interfering with the monitor's magnetic field. I have my Via 1300 pump inside my case and I need to have the case at least 1.5 feet from my Viewsonic P95F monitor. Any closer and I get visible EMI on my monitor even at 100+ refresh rates.

The pump is always the same distance from the video card and the EMI disappears as I increase the distance from monitor to pump, so I am fairly certain the video card isn't affected by the pumps magnetic field.

Not exactly scientific, but that's what I have found by playing around with my system.

:thup:

video card won't be affected by the relatively weak EMI from a pump

my UPS messes with my monitor, though

gotta fix that (move it away)

Cutting a coffee can and using it to cover the pump may do the trick... Something as simple as this can alleviate pump interference problems.

To test, just drop the pump in the can if possible and experiment to see if it makes a difference. ;)

My MCP600 is in my case which is right next to the monitor (less than half inch away). No visible effects here. Maybe some pumps (or monitors) have better shielding than others. Using a Dell P992 monitor.

klath said:
My MCP600 is in my case which is right next to the monitor (less than half inch away). No visible effects here. Maybe some pumps (or monitors) have better shielding than others. Using a Dell P992 monitor.

Only A/C pumps cause the EMI problem...

greenman100 said:
video card won't be affected by the relatively weak EMI from a pump

my UPS messes with my monitor, though

gotta fix that (move it away)
This guy's did.
http://www.linuxhardware.org/Features/03/09/08/1734248.shtml

NEC and KDS monitors ( I have owned them both) are very much affected by EMI.
My NEC 97F picks up EMI from a flatCRT TV that is a full six feet away from it.
When I had a KDS VS195e, it suffered many distortions from TVs being turned on and off, or things like that.

I actually have heard people in this forum ask/complain about Danner Mag3 (you have that right) interfering with NECs.

to help you out, move the pump as far from the moniotor as Greenman suggested, or block the EMI coming off of the pump. The stuff that apple G5s have their case made up of (metal with those holes in it) should do the trick. It is used in newer PSUs and microwave windows as well. I guess make a shell for your pump from that, or cover your side panel with it. That stuff can actually look pretty sexy if you wnat it to.

SenC.

yeah, my NEC FE950+ is pretty sensitive too, i can tell when a tv or screen is turned on close by. I have a wavy screen too, and my pump is 2 feet from the screen...i should try sheilding it soon :)

I tried the coffee can and it didn't do anything. I moved the monitor further away from the pump and it reduced it alot, the only problem is I don't like haveing the monitor so far from the case(2.5 feet). I have a KDS 19" CRT VS-190IS, running at 1280 and 85 refresh, if I reduce the res and up the refresh to 100 the wave goes away. If I get a better monitor will it fix my problem? Do lcd's have this problem? Would it be fixed if I have a different pump?(have mag 3 right now)

By the way I am running a external setup.

I have been running at 1152* 864 at 100 refresh. But today the side of the screen closest to the pump turned a bright color and kind of shrank, so the image is smashed together. It only happens when it is at that setting and at 1280*1024 *60 refresh.

Was the coffee can metallic ?
If yes, was it properly grounded (ie electrically connected to the ground..) ?
Again if you have problems fitting the coffee can, try with aluminium foil, wrap it around the pump, and ground it (use a wire to connect it to the case, and ground your case)
Buying a new monitor is quite an expensive solution... and no LCDs are not affected at all by EMI.

SureFoot said:
Was the coffee can metallic ?

ROFL. Sorry but I was pretty sure he knew it had to be metal...

covana2244 said:
how do I ground my case?
Dont worry about grounding your case... That third prong on the power plug is a ground and is literally screwed to the frame of the PSU which in turn is screwed to the case which is in turn screwed to everything.

Now Id read up on whats a good EMI shield. Straight metal isnt the best shield. The shielding you see in CRTs isnt just steel or aluminum. I use to have two Trinitrons side by side, older ones, G500 and a G400, and the G400 didnt have the greatest shielding so it would get kind of wavy and distorted on the edge that was closest to the G500. I tied an aluminum plate, sheet metal, and foil. The best thing that worked was a CD rack that was very open and just made of bent metal rods. I searched for awhile and some company developes something called "mu metals" which are specifically for EMI shielding. if you ever find a place where you can buy some Id love to know.

Now the suggestion of shielding the pump inside your case by putting it in a PSU case or a coffee can is on the premise that the pump is causing interference with components inside your case that its right next to... If the field is so large and strong its bothering your CRT 2 feet away then you might need to do a little more...

If it were me Id just get another pump...

Oh wait, he said he had an external setup... To ground the other case case, run a piece of wire from your computer case to the external case. Just use a screw to secure the wire like on speakers.

Back