• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water temp probes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froz

What's decent, cheap, easy to install in an external box?

Thanks,
Froz

I saw Dtek is selling a temp probe and when I look at it, I got an idea. My monitoring system has temp probes which I intend to insert into a T fitting until the tip comes out at the horizontal water path. Then I will fill the T with silicone to seal the temp probe. Hope it works :). Poor man's way to monitor temp I guess.

Most thermistors and thermalcouples are fairly well sealed against the elements. You wouldn't have to use very much silicone. What you are describing is exactly what many new 'inline thermal probes' aimed at the WC market are. Pretty simple.

nartac said:
I saw Dtek is selling a temp probe and when I look at it, I got an idea. My monitoring system has temp probes which I intend to insert into a T fitting until the tip comes out at the horizontal water path. Then I will fill the T with silicone to seal the temp probe. Hope it works :). Poor man's way to monitor temp I guess.

just make sure the wires are covered, to avoid corrosion/galvanic reaction/innacurate reading, etc

What's the minimum length (or amount of the tip of the sensor) that needs to be in the water flow in order to get a good reading? I'm probably going to do what Nartac says and lower that into a T-Fitting with some silicone to hold it in place and prevent evaporation. Obviously I'll try to align the probe so that it impedes the water the least amount possible.

sensors.jpg

I'm not really looking for an inline temp probe, more of something that I can perma stick in my res.

Back