• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IS7 : Capacitor broke off...help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DamienKC

Hello, I just got back from lanning, and I went to set my case on my table, and noticed a capacitor broke off and was sitting on the bottom of my case (the little cylinder black things). I thought that it may keep my pc from booting, but here I am, haven't noticed any problems. My question is would it eventually cause problems? I was going to sell it, but if it's going to die, i guess not.

Thanks.

if its a capacitor you might be ok, try to get it fixed though.
www.motherboardrepair.com does great work and also there are a few guys here that could probably do it.
not having it may cause a strain on other components which may eventually cause them to fail.

Wonderful :|

Well, personally I was going Athlon64 eventually anyways, so when it fails i'll just sell the cpu and upgrade, if it never does...then...i'll still sell the cpu and upgrade. Either way, it's not going to bother me much.

DamienKC said:
Wonderful :|

Well, personally I was going Athlon64 eventually anyways, so when it fails i'll just sell the cpu and upgrade, if it never does...then...i'll still sell the cpu and upgrade. Either way, it's not going to bother me much.

usually capacitors are used to smooth out noise and ripple in the power goning to different components. u might not notice anything till u stress it.

^^^ In most cases flapperhead is right.

But if you own a sodering iron and feel like being hands on, there is nothing wrong with trying to fix it.

Also it may be that the area of the board has not been used yet. A while back a member's board had a capacitor fall off and it ran fine untill he tried to access the floppy drive. In his case the circuit was left open since the cap was no longer there.

Back