• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on dual-channel and latency

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

axegrinderbill

I currently have a kingston 512 pc3200 CAS 3 in performance mode (2.5-7-7). I'm wanting to get a 512x2 pc3200 cas2 pack of corsair xms ram. I was wondering if i run both corsair chips in dc, would the timings slow down due to the slower 512 kingston, or would it stay at 2? If so, would this affect the slower kingston to cause problems?

If so, I'll plan on buying another 512 of the same corsair later in the future

They should run in dual channel together, but you probably will have to relax timings. Both sticks will run at the speed of the slowest stick in the system...so even if you spent $300 on some BH-5, you wouldn't be able to tighten the timings past 2.5-7-7 because of the Kingston. By the way...do you really mean 2.5-7-7? Not 2.5-3-3 or something? 2.5-7-7 is just...horrible.

johan851 said:
They should run in dual channel together, but you probably will have to relax timings. Both sticks will run at the speed of the slowest stick in the system...so even if you spent $300 on some BH-5, you wouldn't be able to tighten the timings past 2.5-7-7 because of the Kingston. By the way...do you really mean 2.5-7-7? Not 2.5-3-3 or something? 2.5-7-7 is just...horrible.

DOH!! yeah, 2.5-3-3-7 is what im thinking... tend to do that sometimes...

yeah, that's what I thought. I was wanting to get a stick of the 512 corsair later in the future anyhow :p

Back