• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

access problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

medo145

this is my problem
my friends os was corrupted by viruses, so i took his hdd and im trying to back up his data but when i try to go into his user folder it says access is denied

is there any way i can get in there to backup the data

This is from another thread here somewhare, I dont remember but I did save it because it was an easy explination I thought would come in handy. Its not my post, but I dont know who to give credit to. I think it applies. Substitute the file name as necessary.

I assume that the hard drive is using NTFS file system. If so, the problem is that you are running into the NTFS security "protection". You can use a handy tool on your XP install disc however to override this security setting.

Put your XP disc in and go to the \VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP folder Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file to start the wizard that installs Backup. Once you have it installed run the program and backup the "documents and settings\Jenny" folder that you want to retrieve files from. Once you have made the backup file, click on the "restore" option. Find the backup file you just made and restore it, now this is the most IMPORTANT part.... be sure that when it asks you if you want to keep security settings on the files you are restoring SAY NO. I think you just uncheck or check a box. But you need to make sure you do that to remove the security settings.

Then.....VOILA!!! You have all your files back, NTFS security removed.

Edit: Of course your problem may be a little deeper because of the "corruption" but I would give this a shot.

thanx
that sounds exactly what i was looking for
i'll give it a shot

Back