• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How exactly does water cooling work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bboy_Jon

i didnt find anything in the stickies (well didnt really look that hard)

but anyways how does watercooling cool your system?

does that big water block thingy go over the cpu like a heatsink? and then it pumps water through tubes. But where do the tubes go to?

Through a radiator which will cool the water down via air passing through it. Then through an optional resivoir, and through a pump.

Edit: That was a little hard to understand. Basically, water is pumped through the waterblock, mounted on the processor, which will transfer the heat from the processor to the water. From there, the water is pumped through a radiator, which transfers the heat from the water to the air, and hopefully out of the case.

Click ME! NO, click ME!

Most basically, the large surface area of the heatercore is how watercooling cools your CPU. It allows all that heat from that tiny CPU die to be dissipated by a big hunk of metal - the waterblock tubing and pump is just for getting the heat from the CPU to the heatercore.

whoever thought of watercool for computer is very clever I think. Works pretty much like a car radiator to cool down the engine. Of course it's a much better way to cool engine than the air cool that they used to do ie. beetle bug.

The heat from the water transfers into the metal of the heatercore/radiator, the heatercore/radiator then transfers the heat to the air.

Stickies are pretty good, here is my quick spin on it:

Water for heating and cooling is VERY common in general, just applied to CPU cooling it is realatively new (popular a better word?).

Water is an amazing heat sponge. It can hold a tremendous amount of it, but does not transfer to another surface very well. Metal is the exact opposite, doesn't hold heat well, but transfers it very good.

Metal heatsinks (waterblock) suck the heat out of the CPU and transfers it to the water which absorbs the heat and carries it through tubing to the radiator (metal) which then transfers the heat to the air, with the help of a nice quiet fan (well, not always quiet hehe).

It's a tad expensive, but after putting my first WC setup together in the past week, I love it. Cools GREAT and much less noise now. Sucking the heat out of the CPU/NB/GPU and exhausting it externally helps keep temps down inside as well :)

Back