• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

worth it? or not..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if you have to get a kit, then swiftech is some of the ones to get. Unfortunately I don't see any kind of blocks with this kit. If it's the money that you worry about, put good components together and do it yourself. Most likely your DIY kit will out perform this one.

Edit: ah, I see the block now. Looks like a MCW6000 block which is a good block. I still say to get a DIY kit for less money with higher performance. (from this kit I see two good things though: the pump and the block. Don't know how well that radiator performs vs a Chevette heater core but my guess is there is no comparison)

Last edited:
well see, I also don't want a huge radiator, I want the thing to be internal.

I agree with nartac for the most part but have some info to add. ;)

The radiator:
I have what I believe to be the same exact rad only a few years older....I still use it.
It does not perform as well as a Chevette heater core but it does do pretty well: my "seat of the pants" observations lead me to believe that it is almost as good.

The pump and block alone are not much less than the cost of that kit, and they are definitely good units.

I would think that kit is a pretty good way to start if you want to get a sure-fire decent water cooling setup as your introduction to water cooling. (Note that I started my H2O hobby with a Swiftech kit- h202c a few years back.)

But I do still agree that a few changes can improve the system- mainly the substitution of a better=performing radiator (chevette core or a larger single pass one.)

That is a good kit though, in my opinion. Swiftech stuff is good. :)
(That kit is about $50 less than I paid for mine too!)

Edit-
You posted while I was composing. ;)
The system I use my slim Swifty rad in is an mATX rig that just could NOT fit a heater core, period- not enough depth in the case to cram one in. If I could fit one, I would.
The Swifty rad actually takes up almost the same amount of case surface as a dual fan heater core; less width but more length than a Chevette core. It can be....tricky to find a good spot for it just like a heater core.
The advantage it has is that is is not DEEP: with the included fans it will only take up about 1 1/2" of room. Most heater cores are 2" deep, not counting fans and shrouds. The compromise is really that you get a rad that is slimmer than most but doesn't cool quite as well.

Last edited:
rogerdugans

Thank you for your input. I believe this kit will be my intro to watercooling. I am glad that I can get a quality kit from my favorite online computer vendor newegg. after I buy my video card (soon, very soon) I will start saving for the kit so I can test it out and hopefully have better temps then I do with my little 15 dollar heatsink.

Enigma.xL said:
rogerdugans

Thank you for your input. I believe this kit will be my intro to watercooling. I am glad that I can get a quality kit from my favorite online computer vendor newegg. after I buy my video card (soon, very soon) I will start saving for the kit so I can test it out and hopefully have better temps then I do with my little 15 dollar heatsink.

Your welcome. :)

But just to clarify- I do prefer "Do-It-Yourself" water cooling, and highly recommend it over a kit.
Any kit.

But if you have your heart set on a kit (or other reasons why a kit is required!) I think you have actually chosen one of the best.

Enjoy and good luck!

(And don't forget to post up when you decide to try a heater core in the system. :D)

I do have my heart set on a kit, because its my first time, and I wanna get the feel for this type of operation. I don't want to try and custom make something and mess it all, I'll save custom water cooling for future projects.

Wether you buy a swiftech kit or buy the parts seperately, setting it up would be no different.

the only diffence b/w a DIY and a kit is with DIY you buy individual parts but for both, you still need to do some layout planning, measuring tubes and cutting them and put them together. You may still have to mod your case either you buy a kit or DIY. I was scared at first but after intensive reading, it's like putting together a computer system but maybe a little easier. But it's your prerogative to do what you like. It's just my suggestion.

Back