• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heater Core Aluminum or Brass/Copper?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mechsiah

Registered
Hey all,

I am, yet again, messing with a perfectly good water cooling system to try and make it perfectly better. Scientists may uncover some genetic defect for us H2O geeks...

The heater core I am looking at is Transpro 399126. You can get a crummy sketch of it here: 399126.jpg

So is it Aluminum or Brass/Copper? I have called auto parts stores, but since it is an "order only" item, I haven't had much luck. I even called Transpro, but the guy who was getting back to me is MIA. I hope one of you might be able to help me out- even best guess is good.

I just dont want to order the wrong thing.

Thanks for your help,

Mechsiah

I don't remember much of my chemistry and the elements chart but as memory serves me, copper transfers heat much better than aluminum so I would go with brass/copper.

I think he knows that :) I think he's wondering if that specific heatercore is Aluminum or Copper/Brass. I don't know if it is or not. Maybe you could call Chrysler :) I did a quick google search on the numbers in that drawing but came up with nothing. Just out of curiosity, why does it have to be that heatercore? The Chevette, Caprice and Bonnevile cores are very popular around here, and they are all copper and/or brass.

As usual, its all about the size. This sucker is almost 10"x10". I actually use two of the Caprice heater cores now, but they are laid out poorly, and the multiple inlets aren't really doing it for me.

If these larger ones do turn out to be aluminum I may just have to break out the torch and fuse my current cores together.

Back