• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP 64 Bit Edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

komm

I read that they would be making a Far Cry 64 for the Athlon 64... I just built a new computer with an Athlon 64 3000, but I neither have windows XP or a clue about Windows 64 Bit edition... On the site, it says full installation, but I would imagine that the version would cost something, rather than be a free download. Is it true that it's a free download, or is it a beta? Would I be able to get it, or would I need windows XP (currently using Windows 2000).

I believe there a version of windows 64 bit for opteron CPU's but it will not run on your rig. But there are also Beta versions of Windows 64 bit for desktops. I don't know which version you were looking at or how to tell them apart. I haven't looked at the 64 bit stuff at all.

winxp 64 bit is a free trial. the trial period lasts either 6 months or a year. i can't recall exactly

looks like ill be using it come mid august, when their DL site comes up. If it's beta, that means that I will have to buy the full version when it comes out, correct?

yeah I believe the full version will be out sometime next year. Microsoft keeps pushing the date back. And you will definetily have to pay for it. Longhorn is supposed to be out in 2006 (hopefully) so you may wish to wait for it and just stick with the beta version of XP 64 bit edition until then. It will save you the cash of updating twice.

Back