• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a New PC (SP1 installed..) Should I get SP2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh, okay I'll get the update... but I just didn't want extra stuff that'd only be slowing down my PC if I never use them.... so SP2 it is :)

-A.

Most of the "extra stuff" in SP2 is security enhancements and bugfixes. Stuff you'd definatly want :D

JigPu

I just downloaded SP2 from Microsoft. This thing is all about security. I thought that WinXP would slow down but it seems faster.

I had tons of problems, and loads of spyware. It also disabled norton antivirus for some odd reason, and crashes randomly. Plz tell me if you experience any of this.

Eckyx3 said:
I had tons of problems, and loads of spyware. It also disabled norton antivirus for some odd reason, and crashes randomly. Plz tell me if you experience any of this.

After updating with Windows update?

Eckyx3 said:
Read my response to your other thread with the same complaints. Where did you get your version of SP2?

yuriman aka Eckyx3 - SP2 detected AVG as my antivirus and ZoneAlarm as my firewall. Spybot Search and Destroy was still running in the system tray as well as MBM and MR Tech Systray.

Anything else you want to know just ask.

Im sure with the added security of Sp2 there will still be exploits since all the same hackers will still find ways around it.

If you want to be secure just dont use the default programs in the OS. For instance IE is the most popular browser therefore all the hackers will try to find every bit of weakness to it since the majority of people use IE. If you switch to Mozilla, Firefox, Opera or the sort then you have no worries of IE exploits and the such.

Same goes with other default programs on the OS like WMP and Outlook Express.

Ever since I switched to Firefox I have virtually gotten perfect results using Ad-Aware and Spybot. Keep that in mind as well.

Back