• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New lap job

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeViL_909

Ok guys i just lapped my old WBs and decided to post some pics. This is part of a bigger project i am working on right now. Here is the link to it. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=319364

Here are the pics
1vfjr

1vfo0

Well hope you enjoy them. I know it has been done a million times, but I decided that I would just post them anyway.

Last edited:
I used 1500 grit sand paper then 2000. Then I used rubbing compound, and then a polish compound. I had done lapping up to 1000 before this, and I decided to go all the way and make it a mirror finish.

Using a polishing compound is counter-productive. You do not want to use it because you will essentially be using it as your thermal interface material, because you aren't going to get it out of the tiny cracks in the surface. You want AS5 in those cracks, not polishing compound.

I agree with squeakygeek. Polish compound is a big no no. If you want it to be all shiny and stuff. then go get yourself some 2500grit and 3200grit sand paper and that will get you there with no performance drop.

-Alex

mmm.. shiny :drool:

comeon guys, polish doesn't kill preformance,.. it just lowers it 1-2c thats all :p
Seriously, what would u rather have? a shiny side u'll never see and will probably tarnish in a few days or preformance? seriously.

Can't one remove polish with rubbing alcohol ? Just an idea... Also i always suggest to use a very fluid thermal compound, as arctic silver is kinda thick (don't know for AS4 though), with highly lapped surfaces. The "grains" in AS seem too big, and honestly i have never seen any difference with "white goo" when applied properly (==thin film)

I believe polishing compounds have some fun oils in them you don't want hindering heat transfer. I believe you can take it off with denatured alcohol or a tac cloth? I would just sand it down again to try and get the polishing compound out of the valleys. I does look great though :D

No faith guys, no faith. The blocks have all been rubbed down with alchohol. I am not talking about the polish you use as a final coat on your paint. This is just anouther kind of rubbing compound that is a finner grade. It may have some oils in it, but when you soak and rub down with alcohol, it takes all the stuff off leaving you with a shinny block with no bad residue on it. Thank you for your input. Sorry I was not more clear about the clean up after all the sanding.

::Edit::
The poly tops were taken off during the washing with alcohol. Would not want this cracking.

Last edited:
squeakygeek said:
I'll say it again. You aren't going to get all of the polishing compound off of the base. Also, how did you do the polishing? I hate to think you stopped with the lapping procedure and polished with a cloth or rotory tool or something.

WOW dude. You pull words right out of my mouth.

alcohol or not not all of it will come off. I did testing with this for a project when I was still in high school. I went all the way to 20k grid sand paper and took temp results. With the same room temp to the closest .0X and I used a polisher (for metal) and probably the same thing or close to what you used and recoreded temps and they were about 4*C higher. Then I rubbed it all down with 99.9% rubbing alcohol and took recording and it only went down by 1.5*C which means in the end it was still 2.5*C higher then no polish on there at all. Also, don't forget this is with 20k grid sand paper. To begin with the piece of copper was like a mirror.

I hope this helps. I know the block looks great, but who cares what it looks like when you don't see it? Just my opinion.

-Alex-

No it was done on a piece of glass just like everything else. Since I was unaware that this would mess up my temps, I will resand my blocks and not use the rubbing compound this time. Thanks for the info. I did not think that rubbing compound would get stuck in the microscopic cracks though. I figured rubbing it down good with a rag and alcohol would get the rest of the stuff off. Guess not though.

i got a nice kit from easypckits.com down to 10micron i got polishing compound but i dont think im going to use it after reading this forum

thanks guys

Back