• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120mm x 120mm x 38mm vs 120mm x 120mm x 25mm which is best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jen

I have two enermax 120x120x25mm fans rated at 64 cfm to 90 cfm . static pressure on these fans is unknown
Then I have one panaflo fans 120x120x25mm fans rated 68.9 cfm . static pressure i dont know what it is

With my mid tower case I can use only two of the enermax fans or just one single panaflo fan on my heater core.

Question is which will perform best ?

Jen

Do you mean you have a 38mm panaflo? (typo?) Generally 38mm fans have more pressure than 25mm fans at about the same cfm, in which I would choose the 38mm fan. But- in your case if you can use either 2 thinner fans or 1 thicker fan, I'd say go with the 2 thinner ones as together they would push more air than a single fan. (although noise would also increase if that's an issue) Are you going to run them as push/pull over the rad? or side-by-side? Don't be afraid to get down and dirty with swapping fans and changing your setup till you get acceptable temps.

the setup for the enermax fans will be push and pull type with shrouds. for the panaflo it would be single fan with one shroud.
the problem is i am limited on space so useing two thick fans isnt a option so that is reason for asking questions
swapping out fans will be a problem unless i test this idea out of the case , in which case there may be another difference once everything is in the case. as case temps may influence the out come

Jen

greenman100 said:
you know my answer, will remain quiet as to not influence supporters
I think I know what greenman's answer is, however, I will go the route of saying that I would personally go push/pull with the smaller fans. Minimal gains yes, but they are there. On my new 120.3 rad, each fan is on a seperate fan controller, I can individually turn off any fan(s) i want. I have done the push only vs. pull only vs. push/pull. On my setup, i improve temps by 2C with push/pull vs. any other config.

nikhsub1 said:
I think I know what greenman's answer is, however, I will go the route of saying that I would personally go push/pull with the smaller fans. Minimal gains yes, but they are there. On my new 120.3 rad, each fan is on a seperate fan controller, I can individually turn off any fan(s) i want. I have done the push only vs. pull only vs. push/pull. On my setup, i improve temps by 2C with push/pull vs. any other config.

you are not addressing the original question

it was not which ihas better performance: "(push/pull) or (just push) or (just pull)"

it was which has better performance: "(Push/pull with two thin fans) or (push with one thick fan) or (pull with one thick fan)?"

clear now?

nikhsub1 said:
I have done the push only vs. pull only vs. push/pull. On my setup, i improve temps by 2C with push/pull vs. any other config.

I have to agree on that in general. Where I vary is the amount of difference it will make: in my main system I am using 2 120x38mm fans pulling through my heater core and the difference in temp was only noticeable by using a temp log and seeing which was higher. (Comparison of 2 pulling and push/pull with smaller fans.)

My suggestion: either just go with push/pull or experiment yourself and see what works best for you. :)

rogerdugans said:
I have to agree on that in general. Where I vary is the amount of difference it will make: in my main system I am using 2 120x38mm fans pulling through my heater core and the difference in temp was only noticeable by using a temp log and seeing which was higher. (Comparison of 2 pulling and push/pull with smaller fans.)

My suggestion: either just go with push/pull or experiment yourself and see what works best for you. :)

i was thinking push / pull would give me better tempuratures. then i found out about static pressure and from there i am confused as to which will perform best.

Jen

Jen said:
i was thinking push / pull would give me better tempuratures. then i found out about static pressure and from there i am confused as to which will perform best.

Jen
Try both ways...

a blower rated for 1.5" of static pressure and over 650 CFM in open air

remember that post I made about all the leaks in a case?

I know, because when I crank that blower ot full speed, I feel air coming form everywhere, the front of my CD drives, the seams of the case, etc

greenman100 said:
a blower rated for 1.5" of static pressure and over 650 CFM in open air

remember that post I made about all the leaks in a case?

I know, because when I crank that blower ot full speed, I feel air coming form everywhere, the front of my CD drives, the seams of the case, etc

jesus man! no wonder your running @ 2.4 ghz. A few questions though

1. WHat is the model # on tha beast?
2. how much?
3. how loud is it?
4. where do you get one.

vonkaar said:
Holy crap! What a ripoff!!!
Just kidding, er... uh... that looks familiar.

thank you for your posts on it, I never would have known

1. WHat is the model # on tha beast?
EBM Papst D1G133-AB11-08

2. how much?
$15 + shipping

3. how loud is it?
depends on the voltage, at 11.8v (minimum) about as loud as the 120mm fan in my Fortron PSU

4. where do you get one.

www.quickar.com, but I believe I got the last one.

We have the exact model =p. I paid $10+s/h.

The 'ripoff' was more about the top-mounted rad(s) with (same model) external blower facing down part haha. It's really not a problem, am just poking fun ^_^.

4. ebay link
Same guy that sold me mine... as well as about 3 other members in the forum. He had more than 50 when I bought mine (hmm... 12 months ago maybe).

Greenman: I am running two evercools (25mm) in a push-pull. Are you saying that I would have lower cpu temps if I used one 38mm instead? EDIT* And in any case, i have two two inch shrouds; would I be better off with two 38mm fans in push-pull with comensurately shorter shrouds?

Last edited:
Back