• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deleting Ghost Surf Protect Your Privacy program HELP PLEASE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I have installed this small piece of software by mistake. And cannot delete it. I am running WinXP Pro. I installed the software in administrator mode right onto the desktop.

I have no idea how to remove it from my system. It's not listed in Add/Remove Programs, and I can't erase it or delete it. When I try to delete it, I get an error box that says "Cannot delete GhostSurfe Protect Your Privacy: It is being used by another person or program"

I tried safe mode too..and same problem I get as above...There's a PIF file that installed itself too.

If I Right click on Properties for this program, and under the program tab, click on advanced, I get Windows PIF settings, underneath which it says

Custom MS DOS Initialization Files...w/the following lines:

Autoexecfile name: %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT
Config file name: %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT

This is all I know..I have no idea how to get rid of this software...

ANY help would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance

Hey I tried what you said..I didn't see the program embedded in IE, however I use Mozilla as my default web browser..and I did see something that looked suspicious...SO I removed it. Then I tried to Erase the program from my desktop..and I now get a NEW Eraser message...Which says it still is hooked into something else. The error below that I put in BOLD type is the new message I received from Eraser since I removed the Ghost software from Mozilla.

Error: Failed to erase all (alternate) data streams from file C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Desktop\GhostSurf - Proctect your privacy.exe, it had more than one.
Failed: C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Desktop\GhostSurf - Proctect your privacy.exe (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.)

I DID IT I DID IT!!!!

I Deleted that piece of crap software. Basically I had to shut down explorer w/Ctrl alt Del..and go into dos and delete...I had two explorers open in the task menu, so the first time del w/DOS didn't work..cuz I had only one shut down.

Back