• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Single Pass Vs. Dual Multi Pass Radiators?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

em00guy

Ok so i've decided to go with a dually rad rig. The problem is the radiators. I'm trying to decide between the 2-342 single pass core and the 2-302 multipass core. I'm planning on using a DD rbx and a monster pump (500-600 gpm @ 1'). From what i've picked up the last few days on these forums the more passes the cooler you can get the water but at the expense of flow which I need for my 3 barbed rbx. I'm curious as to whether or not the single pass 342's will be better since i'm using 2 cores? Or will that huge pump negate the restrictivness of two 302 multi pass cores? Mind you i'm also gonna add maze 4 gpu and chipset coolers along with a resivoir. I know weapon is working on some tests with these two cores on the stickies but his are in a single rad configiration. Thanks ahead of time.

For 1 core, I'd go with the single pass, for 2 cores though, the 2 double pass will perform better than the single single pass. You can hook the 2 double pass rads up in parallel which will increase system flowrate.

yeah, put them in paralell, that will reduce the restrictiveness. In paralell, two single pass cores will restrict as much as a single double pass core. i htink...its late so im not sure.

and the more passes does not equal better, a single pass and a double pass of the same size should cool the water about the same...double pass would cool the same water longer, while it moved it slower....but the single pass would cool more water but spend less time taking heat from it.

overall best choice i'd have to say iether two double pass in paralell, or two single pass in iether paralell or liniar. i perferr single pass myself, but will be running a double...untill i get another and mod them both for single.

nikhsub1 said:
For 1 core, I'd go with the single pass, for 2 cores though, the 2 double pass will perform better than the single single pass. You can hook the 2 double pass rads up in parallel which will increase system flowrate.

hmm, how is that? wouldn't two single pass rads in paralell hive higher flow than two doubles in paralell? What about two singles in a series? Would that be like having 1 double? Excuse my noobiness.

em00guy said:
hmm, how is that? wouldn't two single pass rads in paralell hive higher flow than two doubles in paralell? What about two singles in a series? Would that be like having 1 double? Excuse my noobiness.
I think the original question confused me. I thought he asked if you should use one single pass rad or 2 multi pass rads... 2 single pass will be better than 2 mullti pass rads IMO. For the single pass rads, id definately run them in serial, i would test the multi pass both serial and parallel to see which yeilded better temps.

the thing to remember about a double pass is its half as many pipes going twice as far...whereas a single pass is all the pipes going one direction, top to bottom

Como said:
the thing to remember about a double pass is its half as many pipes going twice as far...whereas a single pass is all the pipes going one direction, top to bottom

so cooling capacity should theoretically be equal, except the single has less resistance?

it makes sense to me, however...

the water exiting a double pass may be cooler, because it spends twice as long in the rad. However, that means its dissapating more heat, but less water at a time, where a single pass will pass twice as much water in the same time, and take out less heat per pipe, but has twice as many pipes going at once.

i dont know if that made any sense, but from what i can tell, a single pass is better, but not by too much.

i have a 2-302, and my little tiney maxijet 1200 flows a good amount of wather through it.

Back