• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is XP SP2 the worst thing that ever happend to your pc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eckyx3

Registered
I installed it, and I have had problems from the start. A few weeks ago I tried the beta and it was horrible. I decided it was the beta's fault and the final would be fixed. Well here I am, with my desktop disapearing every 2 minutes and reappearing after a few seconds. I have random crashes, and xp is always popping up windows about how im at risk. When my pc doesnt crash, this kicked me out of games. It added a bunch of buttons that I wont ever use, and before getting this I had not had any spyware for about a month. Within 5 minutes I had LOADS of it, even when using firefox.

Not only that, but it gives me an error when I go to uninstall. I should have stopped right when I downloaded it, because it said "You dont not have windows xp, would you still like to continue" or something to that extent. Maybe I should go ahead and install the 64bit beta? It cant be this bad.

If you installed one of the non-official files floating around the net, you might just have installed a bunch of spyware, worms & viruses.

i never even had problems with the beta, i think you should do a full reformat.

I installed SP2 last night, all is well, no issues, nothing. Seems to be OK so far on this test machine.

Is there a way to get SP2 when you first install windows xp and go through all those updates? I am just asking because I am getting ready to put together my rig, and it would be nice if I could just have it all installed at once (including all other hotfixes).

i installed SP2 last night and the only problems i've had was i had to update stylexp because the version i had didn't support SP2 and i had to install the patch to allow more then 10 connections pre-port and ip, so far im happy with it:)

I have been using SP2 for a few days (official 2180, digitally signed) and have no problems at all. I like a lot of the changes especially to IE.

On the security center you can change how it alerts you or turn it off altogether in services. The firewall can be turned off also if you do not wish to use it. I use several programs that require port forwarding from the router and they work just fine.

Why does this page say you shouldn't download this file for a 'single' computer upgrade? Are they just trying to save you download time?

-LxOxSxI

they probaly also don't want calls asking how to apply it and everything. through windows update its much easier since the user doesn't really have to do anything. they would probably prefer to install it on your computer for you instead of you possibly messing up (this of course is for the users not as uber leet as us :p)

I got it right of of M$'s site. I guess something about my pc just doesnt like SP2. I uninstalled it, and everything is back to normal.

To straight up answer the question in the title: No, water is :cry:

well surely becuase this is happening to one isolated machine that downloaded the beta before hand. it must be the service pack and not the computer

we should all not download the official service pack :rolleyes:

Back