• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silence Noisey Pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreammmatt

Hi guys...I know I saw a thread on here some time ago on silencing a noisey VIA Aqua 1300, but what about a Hydor L30? this thing has annoyed me for so long i am nearly in tears :cry: and ready to throw away my watercooling for something quieter like a Zalman air cooler... any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Is the pump itself making noise or is it vibrating against other surfaces causing them to make noise? It could be the pump and I can't help you there.

Likely it is a vibration control problem. Think about using rubber/elastic pads/strips/shock-cord/etc. to isolate and absorb the pump vibes from the rest of the case. It could be suspended or placed on a vibe-absorbing pad of some kind. BTW mousepads typically don't isolate vibration too well, the rubber isn't soft enough to absorb it and just passes the vibes along to whatever it's sitting on.

It's the pump its self that is making the noise - although I do have a slight problem with case vibration as well, it's not the main culpret here. If i remember the tip for the aqua, the solution was to superglue a little plastic piece of the impeller assembly to the main bulk of the assembly, would that work here?

I have the same pump, and mine doesn't make any noise other than a hum. Every so often it will act up and make loud noises. I usually just turn off the comp and unplug the pump then plug it back it. It tends to take care of it. Try taking it apart and see if you are getting any kind of ware in the pump and see if it is rubbing. Don't give up on water cooling. One bad pump should not take you back to....Dum dum dum...AIR!

What water aditives do u use? I havent used any so far - i know it's stupid...and perhaps the cause of my woes - I have noticed in the past that cleaning the pump (removing the impeller and wiping everything down with a cotton swab) did get rid of the noise temporarily...but it came back shortly; turning the pump on/off used to make the noise go away - but now it wont go away... and this isnt the first bad pump, i had a via aqua 1300

glue the pink to the clear pale white where it says shaft, though i'm going to doubt the hydor has one of these also

Attachments

• Via Pump Impellor Mod - Exploded View.jpg
    Via Pump Impellor Mod - Exploded View.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 106
does the impeller come off of the clear shaft? or do u have to jimmy some superglue down inbetween the two? cuz i have the whole thing out now, and needa know what to do with it - - and is that really gonna hold? i mean, wouldnt water and constant movement...

supposedly the pink impellor itself has free movement while on the clear chaft part, while spinning on the spindle

so you need only one moving part rather than two after you finish

the above picture comes from a via pump, and once the impellor has been secured, the pump is a lot more silent, due to les vibration of the spindle itself

_

Back