• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the oldest Radeon series video card with mounting holes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
seems like they started using mounting holes somewhere around the time they released the 128mb version of the 8500...the 64mb version of the 8500 definitely had an epoxied on HSF.

however, I'm fairly sure they reverted back to their evil epoxied-on HSFs on several cards after that.

Hmmm, lets see.
I got an Ati Rage 128 pro with an epoxy heatsink, although it does have 2 holes on the side, which is sorta strange.

I'm pretty sure the 7200 doesn't have mounting holes.

I know the 9xxx series has holes (except 9200), so you can think they probably started around 8500 like weapon said.

there was definitely a 2nd or 3rd run of 128mb 8500s that had the holes in them -- I worked on at least 3 of the bastages but I do not recall if they were LE models or otherwise.

Based on a brief bit of checking i did today, it looks like you will have to look at particular models as there doesn't seem to be a definite point at which they switched all of them over to mounting holes. also, some manufacturers went with mounting holes where others seem to have used non-reference epoxy sinks on some cards that should have had holes instead...

Radeon 64MB DDR baby! no holes...i remember the epoxy tho... man, do I ever... took a credit card and a screwdriver to pop that sucker off! thought for sure i woulda borked the board... So the conclusion is 'some' 8500's then, eih?

Back