• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WW+high flow pump or high pressure pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HiProfile

My next upgrade will be a WC'd AMD dualcore (no really, I'm saving :D) with a block on the gpu too, and I'm somewhat split between ideas - I'd appreciate advice from the more experienced posters. True, I don't have too many posting stars, but I've been here quite long enough to know what I'm talking about and enough time at work to dream up ideas.

The Danger Den DD12V-D4 pump is perfect for the PC-60 (yes, sixty :p) I plan on using. The problem is I don't know if it will be better to use it with a high restriction Cascade/WW/RBX-like block, a high-flow block, or get a high-flow 1250 with the high restriction blocks. I plan on using a Boniville/Caprice heatercore modded into a single-pass (dual barbs per end tanks), dual panaflo M1's, 1/2" tubing, a low restriction GPU block, and possibly running a mini 1/4" line off to the 500watt+ psu and dual HDD's (setup so it doesn't add much heat to the system, just enough to eliminate a fan or two). Chances are it won't be for an ultimate overclock, but you never know...

My guess was that the dualcore wide contact patch will make the WW-type WB's less effective than on a singlecore (but of course, there'll be a IHS now), but then again they perform so well naturally... The GPU WB will further lessen flow, but some of it will be made up due to the rad being a big single-pass. Will there be enough restriction to warrant a high-pressure/medium-flow pump like the DD-D4, or will a medium-head/higher-flow 1250 be better for the WW-like block's design?

I don't want to use a 2nd pump in series, will have very limited space, will have limited funds (since I'll basicly be buying a whole new PC minus a monitor), and want the whole setup to run *dead* silent upon command.

Esimated setup: AMD dualcore (Intel if its cheaper :rolleyes: ) & corisponding dual-channel memory moboard, nVidia 6xxxGT/7xxxGT PCI-e (<3 ATI, will use it they somehow bust out of their rut)...heck why not continue the 'dual' trend - SLI! (j/k), Audigy 2 (or 3 if its in developement and gets true digital spdif-out) or onboard sound for space saving and better gfx memory cooling. Audigy3? NV7k card?! WTF? Yeah, I'm planning ahead... :sn:

The case: I plan on placing the HDD's in the empty 5.25" bays below the optical drives, then fitting the heater core below where the removable cage was. It will be up against the side panel, sucking in through the laser-cut holes (to match the new PC-60 long horizontal blowhole exhaust holes/grill) via dual 120mm M1A's that will sit at a 45 degree angle, pushing out the bottom. Yes, it'll fit - I've made a mockup in my current PC-60 with the fans & 3-D cardboard pieces. The case will also have real Lian-Li castor wheels added like my current PC-60. The fan/pump controller will sit with it's fins in the exhaust vent, using an LM350 regulator to control the pump (only if I can hear it at night @12v :p) The pump will fit below the GFX card, and the tubing routed in the typical cpu->gpu->pump->rad fasion.

Other ideas include adding 1-2 92mm's below the GFX card for an alternate intake (I'm adding 2 92mm's in my current PC-60 to make a neutral pres. system), keeping dual 80mm's in the front to aid in heatercore air extraction (would add about a net 40cfm with my M1A[80mm]-speed Sunons@12v to the M1A 120mm's max 177cfm), WC'ing the HDD's and PSU by soldering on copper tubng to the aluminum brackets and heatsinks [respectively], since the HDD's are relocated, are isolated from the case [will document this mod soon], and there probably will be less airflow through the case [the heatercore 'duct' will be isolated from the internal area].

One of the best ideas I think I've had, which will almost be downplayed due to it being WC'ed and not aircooled, will be that the LM317/LM350-based fan controller will be controlled not via old-skool, clunky knobs, but via DPDT (probably SPDT to be cheap) 0.67" X 0.365" mini-rocker switches. AFAIK, every other case uses regular old archaic knobs, which are limited to being mounted in bay slots. I was thinking about using slide pots [in intake holes right above the rad] initialy till I got this idea. Once you see it, you'll understand the rocker switchs' usage. Excuse my French, but this case will be F-ing high-tech. Inovation over raw power :sn:

Ideas? Suggestions? Questions? Please, don't hold back.

Higher pressure pump will be best. The D4 will pump more water through the loop than the 1250 and put less heat into the loop also. Its a win win for the D4.

High pressure pump -> will make more flow out of a heavy restricted loop than a high flow pump. So get that D4 ;)

.. ooooor
get a mag3, high flow.. and high pressure!
although its pretty much the same at high restrictions, it'll make everyone happy :)

dont match a high performance setup that cost you high performance dollars with a cheap pump like the mag3. PLus it has a leakage problem, though an easy fix, it isnt worth th ehassle to me. If you want an extensive setup like you suggested save up 30 more $s and get a D4.

@ Korndog... Not saying a mag3 is cheap, just saying it dont go with an expsnive setup like he is planning. (also not saying yours isnt a high perf setup....arrghhh hell. forget it.)

SenC.

The Danger Den DD12V-D4 pump is perfect for the PC-60 (yes, sixty :p)...

As in the Lian-Li PC60?

If your putting the bville core W/ shroud in the top of your case, you will have to flex the upper portion of the case supports (alum sheets that goes from 5.25 bay to psu) a bit to get that core in.

I ended up cutting off the middle two 5.25 bay tabs in order to make it easier to put the core in. And if your still using the original drive covers, the tabs on them will be jammed in tight between the core and the bays.

Back to the pump question.... where are you going to mount it? Under the PSU perhaps?

Thanks for the input. I was planning on getting a big PSU anyways, and would prefer not to use a 120v pump - although I did have a cool solid state relay plan set up...

Guderian - yes, a Lian-Li PC-60. Thanks for the ideas, but the rad is going in the bottom front. Looking at the front of the case, the intake will be on the bottom left side, and the exhaust out the bottom of the case. I typed a lot so I didn't expect anyone to read it all :beer: If my new WC setup uses my current 9800pro, the rad will within half of an inch from it's power connector. About a square inch of fins won't be covered by the upper shroud, but thats assuming the next card I get will be about the same dimentions. I will have to hack up most of the 3.5" bay, although I could also remove it and hardmount the 3.5" covers to the case. Despite my forum name, my plan was to keep the case as low profile as can be. I might add a window, only because a 9.5"x6" row of verticle slats in the lower right corner will look odd all alone.

For the pump, its going to fit below the vid card. Its small enough to fit in the space there - 2.5" between 9800pro and side panel, pump is 3.47" wide, ~5" below vid card, pump is 3.54" high not counting barb. Even with a big PCI card 2 slots below the vid card, the pump will still fit. My only concern is that, with an abundance of PCI-e slots, a PCI SFX card will have to be 3-4 slots below the vid card. Regardless, I'm also prepared to put the pump in the middle of the case, since there'll be a lot more realestate there w/o a big HSF on the cpu. Then it'd have to route it cpu->pump->gpu->rad.

Last edited:
What wrong with a 120-volt pump anyway? I did a mod on my PSU witch I sordid a brown EXT cord onto the switch and neutral post. In this way when I turned my power SW on my pump comes on this is best for pump. To thy like to run all the time.

The new DC pumps put less heat into the water and like the D4/MCP650 has a 50k mtbf rating which you prob wont find on a ac pump, Since the DC pump are industrial/comercial style pumps and the AC are basicly just residential units the construction is quite different.
For me those are two very good reasons to use a DC pump.

Last edited:
The main prob with a 120v pump is the size, the relay, and warranty. Unless I want to have a long cord coiled up inside, I'd have to cut it up and, to keep the case low key, solder it into the PSU. I'd highly prefer to keep the warranties on both pump and PSU, as well as not having an extra 120v cord snaking from my case into a splitter adapter on PSU 120v connector. That leaves me with a 12v pump. I'm not saying 120v pumps are bad, just that they aren't the best choice for me given my set of requirements.

About the Swiftech MC600 - it was the original 12v pump I was looking at, but outlet barb is less than optimal for my pump placement. Also, I've heard that its essentially discontinued (moot point if not) in favor for the MC650, which is identical to the Liang/DD-D4.

I was just showing that the MCP600/AquaXtreme 50Z would allow the use of your pci slots. If I would of had the room I would of rather of gotten the D4 myself. The MCP600 is disscontinued and I think it was because the manufacturer started selling to other customers more than any problems with the pump itself. The AquaXtreme 50Z is still being sold so that option is still open if needed.

Thanks. The important dimentions are roughly the same for both - I do like the MC600 case better though. I was basing it more on what some reviewers said compairing the pumps. The main idea to note is that the decision is mainly between 12v DC and 120v AC pumps. The other thing I was looking at was the possibility of adding a 2nd pump in series later on if case need be - discontinued products are usually harder to get a hold of later on.

Also, thanks for those pix of your pump - it really gives a good idea of it's size. I didn't see the links last time I posted - I'm curious about where all the tubes go (stacked rad's?), since there's so many of them. Unfortunately I can't find any thread here about your PC...

Ok here are some links to my system setup. Reason for so amny tubes is the way I set it up. I use an RBX for my cpu and ran each outlet to perate blocks and then to seperate inlets on my res. Which is running my GPU and NB in parallel to lower the restriction in my setup. That and that I have 2 rads in series also.

http://webpages.charter.net/chew_toy/1/WB3.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/chew_toy/1/WB4.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/chew_toy/1/WB5.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/chew_toy/1/WB6l.jpg

Ancient_1, I like the way the multiple tubes give it a very artistic look... particuarly in the first pic. Concentric circles combined with the straight lines of the pump to rad tube.

Edit: I asked the wife to take a look at the pic. she hates my obsession with my PC so don't take this the wrong way:

"Thats the prettiest one I've ever seen."

Last edited:
Turd, question about pics... the tube from your T-line looks like its going to the pump. Thats just a 'corked' tube resting on the pump right?

Ancient_1 said:
Ok here are some links to my system setup. Reason for so amny tubes is the way I set it up. I use an RBX for my cpu and ran each outlet to perate blocks and then to seperate inlets on my res. Which is running my GPU and NB in parallel to lower the restriction in my setup. That and that I have 2 rads in series also.

http://webpages.charter.net/chew_toy/1/WB3.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/chew_toy/1/WB4.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/chew_toy/1/WB5.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/chew_toy/1/WB6l.jpg

I like your water split the CPU to the GPU and northbride it look like it keeps water moving faster to CPU than the traditional meatheads :)

Back