• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The new SP2 firewall still doesn't allow opening port ranges :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malakai

My router just died, so I'm going to be using the SP2 firewall for awhile.

Why oh why doesn't it allow you to open a port range? For example, I need ports 6881-6889 for bittorrent, now I'm going to be stuck opening each port 1 at a time. I always thought that this was the most retarded thing with the regular winxp firewall, and I was very much hoping it would be fixed in SP2.

Me = sad panda

PS: If anyone knows a way to open ranges with the XP firewall (sp2), then please share.

I think I answered this before when you asked about doing it in the beta. You have to open the ports one by one. Allbeit that's a pain, but it can be done that way.

Actually, you don't have to open the ports at all, for say a bittorrent client.

When the program starts, a window pops up and asks if you wish to allow internet traffic access to this program. Say allow and it opens whatever ports that program wants to use automatically.

Pretty :cool:

I just installed and am testing BitTorrent with SP2. A warning box came up and asked if I wanted to allow the program access and i allowed it. Seems to work fine here. . . so far. . . .

Z

It pretty much mimics zonealarm.

I'd like a comparison to see which program puts more load on the system, zonealarm or this builtin firewall. Zonealarm has this exact functionality, and much more as well.

Back