• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does push/pull mean this or this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seaborn

When you say you are using a push/pull are you meaning that one side of the rad pulls air and the opp side is pushing(front/back) or that is a side by side one is pushing and one is pulling.

side by side one is pushing and one is pulling.

I thought about making something like that using some dividers in the upper shroud and a closed (no fan holes) shroud to prevent pumping hot air in the case, but decided the poor air flow would be worse than just pulling hot air out of the case through the rad.

anyone tried something like this?

Something like this?

Fans up here
.__________________
/.....v.......|......^......\ Shroud 1
|..............................| Core
\____>_______>_____/ Shroud 2 without fan cutouts

You misunderstand me....

side by side one is pushing and one is pulling.

I thought about making something like that using some dividers in the upper shroud and a closed (no fan holes) shroud to prevent pumping hot air in the case, but decided the poor air flow would be worse than just pulling hot air out of the case through the rad.

The purpose of the crappy ascii pic was to see if anyone had tried that yet.

if the second "blocked" shroud was as tall as the fan opening is "wide" it shouldnt block airflow too much. That might be a decent Idea to keep hot air out of the case.

if the second "blocked" shroud was as tall as the fan opening is "wide" it shouldnt block airflow too much.

But that would require the second shroud to be approx 4 inches tall making the fan/rad/shroud assembly 8 inches tall if the top shroud is only 1 inch tall....

I was wondering if anyone had any temps running a setup like this with a blocked shroud height of 1-2 inches, which would allow this to fit in my less-than-spacious case.

I think that having a split shroud arrangement like that you would end up getting hot exhaust air being sucked in somewhat by the cold air intake fans (Since they are side by side).

Even with an extended baffle sticking out, the warmer air is still in the vacinity of the cooler air...I don't have any math to back it up, but I can't see that helping matters any hehe.

If you maybe directed the air enough, had enough pressure/flow to overcome the more restrictive path, it could be a good solution for someone who has placement problems with a rad, or just wants to play :p

Like some 90's and short extentions to unsure intake and exhaust are sperated. Probably much easier to have two in parallel blowing the same direction for the trouble it is worth.

Guderian said:

bad idea on many counts

every time air changes direction it encounters resistance

--->bad

you are pushing preheated air through half the rad

--->bad

it is a bad idea.

--->bad

Back