• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AI7 install problem - slow shutdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pntgrd

I have put together a new system, AI7, 3.2 Prescott, 1 gig 4200 Hyperam, 2 Raptors in SATA Raid0. O/S is XP w/sp2. Install went fine and runs fine, problem is Shutdown takes an eternity, must be between 2 and 3 minutes. Only thing loaded is chipset, video and sound drivers. The problem was always there did not show up later in install process. I have never run across this before. Any ideas? Is this an AI7 thing?

Hay!

I had similar problems using hard drives on special controllers like SATA or PCI add on cards (using RAID or not). I assume it has to do with your driver for the SATA controller. How did you install the driver? With F6 key at the Win XP installation?

- Try to reinstall the SATA controller driver, it may help.

- Windows sometimes keeps drivers in use while the device is no longer present. Shutdown will be delayed in some of those cases: Open registry and go to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]
make String: "DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES" and set to 1.
After Windows restart open hardware manager and select View, Show hidden devices. Look for device entries that do not exist any more on your PC. Maybe there are entries with question marks on it. Try to delete them, too. Windows will reinstall them after rebooting, if the device is really found again.

Maybe this can help you.
Greetings,
Edgar

E.d.g.a.r, thanks for the reply. First off, yes Raid driver was loaded with F6 at XP install. You may be on to something with a device issue. I have an X800 VIVO card. The video driver I used was the 4.9 Beta Catalist. It does NOT have a WDM driver included with the package. I went back and tried to install from driver cd that came with the card but it would not install. Probably some issue with the Beta driver. I will try uninstalling the Beta's and installing latest Omega's and then the WDM's (I know that will work) and see if it helps. I klnow XP is slow to shut down but this is way too long, compared to my other systems.

You're right, 2-3 Minutes is very too slow for any system.
Let us know whether the graphics driver did help you.

I actually may have found the cause, which I bet I did. Right after the fresh install I ran XP AntiSpy for grins and giggles. Saves alot of reg hacking to get things like Messenger and Ballon tips turned off. I saw the option to dump or flush the pagefile on exit. Sounded like a good idea so I enabled it. Now thinking about it, I would bet writing zeros to a 2.5 gig fixed pagefile would slow dow the shutdown process. I am going to disable that when I get home and se if that cures the problem. I bet it will, don't you?

That was it, shuts down perfectly now. Thanks for the suggestions, anyway, E.d.g.a.r. Later

Back