• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using more than 2 IDE devices and at least one SATA on ICH5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E.d.g.a.r

Registered
Hay everybody!

I have checked the "hard disk boot device priority" feature (maybe it's an issue after all) of my IS7.

When using SATA in "combined mode" (one IDE channel will be replaced by the two SATA channels) the Hard disk boot priority works very well. But if you choose "enhanced mode" the hard disk boot priority gets very confused! (depending on your drives the AUTO setting will choose "enhanced mode" automatically)

I suppose this is an issue of all abit boards with onchip intel SATA.

My current hard drive list is as follows in SATA Enhanced mode (CD drives not mentioned):
IDE 1 Slave: ZIP drive -> Channel 1 Slave
IDE 2 Master: Samsung HD -> Channel 2 Master
SATA 1: Hitachi HD (boot disk) -> Channel 3 Master

Now the issue: Selecting various hard disk boot device prioritiy combinations the system will not find a boot device at start up, but the boot device (Hitachi HD) is always in the list.

For example:
1st: Channel 3 Master
2nd: Channel 2 Master
3rd: Channel 1 Slave
4th: Bootable add-in device
works fine!

changing 2nd and 3rd in the list:
1st: Channel 3 Master
2nd: Channel 1 Slave
3rd: Channel 2 Master
4th: Bootable add-in device
works NOT! (DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER)

In some combinations the system reports at every start up "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" but after hitting ENTER the right boot disk has been found and start up works.

So in my eyes it becomes more and more an issue...

This should not be a single case here. It should happen to every user who has more than two IDE devices and at least one SATA device connected to the Intel ICH5, so the AUTO SATA mode in BIOS selects "enhanced mode".

Maybe some users can report similar problems.

Edgar

Back