• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

:bang head Why cant I get mem over 200mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g-dawg

Registered
Why cant I get mem over 200mhz

I thought all was well in my OC fantasy land (see sig) until deathstar13 over in the Intel cpu room pointed out that my memory was only running at 179mhz with a 5:4 divider. Thought gee opportunity there! Problem is that I cannot seem to get to 200 no matter what combination of fsb and multiplier that I use. Then I thought I had a bad stick so I borrowed 2x512 KVR (KVR400x64c3/512) and still the same problem.

Last edited:
ok my friend this is what u do.. set ur mult. to 17 set ur fsb to 200, then go into the memory selection and pick 400. that = 1-1, boot it up ,check the memory speed and go from there...

btw welcome to the head bangers ball. i been trying to get a set of memory to run ddr600 for a year. no luck yet...

yes flapper is right because tryn to set to 1:1 with your current FSB will have the memory OC'd a bit and from what i can see so far the sticks can't do it so try goin back to stock and go from there along with raising your Vdimm

Thanks! Ill be back. (using my best Arnald voice) :D

I dont know what I was thinking, I started focussing on timings and confused myself. Thanks for the voice of reason you cleared the fog. :p
currently I am at the following

3.8 @ 225 x 17
2.5 3.3.5
mem voltage: 2.85 ( the highest available on this mobo)

I was not able to get to any of the following...
2.3.3.5 or 2.5 2.2.5

super pi: 36 sec
sandra: int bandwith 5536
sandra: float bandwith 5538
sandra: 77% efficiency

1. Any suggestions on where to go from here?
2. I have the following options available with this bios that I am unfamiliar with them. Would adjustments to any of these be beneficial? eg.
DRAM Burst Length
DRAM Idle Timer
DRAM Refresh Rate

Any help would be beneficial :D

Attachments

• 225x17 t 2.5 3.3.5.JPG
    225x17 t 2.5 3.3.5.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
everything is looking good but one thing.
you need that running 14x275 5:4 mem should be at 225 then also but the efficiancy goes way up and is a great speed boost.

it may take tweaking or some work but what you have now is good. what you will get with my suggested settings will be great.

I tried to get to 275 fsb @ 14 multiplier at 5:4 and it just would not post.
I relaxed the timings as much as possible and still no go. I had to drop to below 250fsb to get windows up (not stable) and my mem buss speed was right at 200. My bandwith (sandra) was at 5384 down from 5536. Am I mising something?

g-dawg said:
I tried to get to 275 fsb @ 14 multiplier at 5:4 and it just would not post.
I relaxed the timings as much as possible and still no go. I had to drop to below 250fsb to get windows up (not stable) and my mem buss speed was right at 200. My bandwith (sandra) was at 5384 down from 5536. Am I mising something?
i dont think your ram is stable. are you running prime or memtest on it?

the 5:4 settings im suggesting will push the ram hard so it may be finding a weakspot.

Got my new memory

Well it looks like 4.0 ghz is not in the cards. :cry: The new mem is OCing nicely and I dont think that the chip can max it out. I have tried to tighten the timings with no success. :(

Thanks for the help deathstar13, reefa and flapper. Any suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• CPUz 14 x 276.JPG
    CPUz 14 x 276.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 68
  • SI 14 x 276.JPG
    SI 14 x 276.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 61
Back